Parallels: Bought by Apple?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sjferris, Aug 3, 2006.

1. sjferris

sjferris Junior Member

From talking to a friend about the silence from Parallels. Apple is officially pushing Parallels both on the site and in their stores and the rumors about doing their own virtualization software have died down.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/windows.html

Perhaps Apple decided it was easier to buy a tiny outfit like Parallels than develop their own? The silence from the Parallels team would be explained since Steve would of locked them all in a silo before WWDC.

An announcment at next weeks WWDC perhaps?

Steve

2. UKP

UKP Member

This is what I have been thinking for some weeks. With version 1.0 appearing to have been rushed to release and the real lack of any useful postings from Parallels, I would not be surprised if Leopard next week has Parallels built in.

But if it doesn't, Parallels will still exist :)

3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. n4khq

n4khq Member

Why would apple spend millions when it free now. parallel is making millions and if Apple bought parallels and made parallels part of the OS, the revenue from the sale of VM would be lost and what would apple gain in return. A big support headache.

5. majortom

majortom Member

I'm asking myself the same thing since a couple of months but Apple has clearly stated that Leopard woun't include a virtualization software and that BootCamp will be the only way they'll support Win.

6. virek

virek Member

They could be doing that very Microsoft-type thing:

Buy or licence (from) the company and include the core-features in the OS and leave the company to sell the 'pro' version with all the bells and whistles.

We'll know soon enough I guess.