OS X Apache Virtual Hosts with Guest OS XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Matthew, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Matthew

Matthew Bit poster

Hi,

I'm trying to set up XP so I can test my websites in IE on Windows, and so far everything works fine. I can access my OS X Apache installation fine through my IP address. There's just two issues.

First, I set a <base> URL for all my HTML pages, so all the links are consistant. Unfortunately if I'm accessing a website through website.test on OS X and 192.168.1.2/~user/site-name/ on Windows, none of the links work. Is there any way of getting these customised domain names set up on Windows.

The second issue isn't so much a problem at the moment, but could be. My IP address varies depending on which network I'm connected to (be it wireless at home, cabled at uni, no internet while at a café etc.) and this means I would have to change the IP address I use to access OS X from Windows each time I change location, which isn't ideal. How might I go about solving these problems?

Thank you,

Matthew

2. BrentB

BrentB Member

Windows should have a "hosts" file you can edit to associate your custom names with IP addresses. Try in C:\Windows\System or C:\Windows\System32. Or google for it =)

3. Matthew

Matthew Bit poster

For some reason I can't get this to work. I did try editing the hosts file, but none of the names I've given (even the simple generic 'localhost') didn't seem to work. Is there something you have to do to refresh the file? Rebooting doesn't seem to do anything.