Unable to hide Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Seraglio, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Seraglio

Seraglio Junior Member

...But only intermittently. Has anyone else experienced this, or has it already been reported?

2. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

Hmmm, I have never had this problem (I hide the Parallels app every time I switch away from it).

Is it possible that during the intermittent times in which it is not working, you have the mouse and keyboard being captured by the VM?

If so, Apple+H will not hide the app because the VM usurps the Apple key, so make sure to release the keyboard and mouse (default key command is ctrl+alt) which then gives your keyboard input back to the Mac OS and allows Apple+H to hide Parallels.

3. virek

virek Member

Seraglio,

This is most likely related to the known (well?) bug of the Finder. It happens to random applications, for example for me it happens to Safari and NewsFire. You can 're-enable' the hide button by trying to run a video in full screen on the screen that experiences this problem.

Its not a fix but a get-around.

HTH

Matthew

4. Ken Kling

Ken Kling Junior Member

Parallels Desktop can't be hidden as can other Mac apps?

I have this same problem with build 3170 and it is not intermittent. Here's how to reproduce it:

1) Have Parallels Desktop running in a window.
    2) In the Mac OS, switch to the Finder as the front most application.
    3) From the Finder menu choose "Hide Others".

The result is that every application will be hidden except for the Finder and Parallels. Parallels should be hidden at that point.

Here's another way to reproduce the problem.

1) Have Parallels Desktop running in a windows.
    2) From the Parallels Desktop menu choose "Hide Parallels Desktop".

The result is nothing happens. Parallels Desktop apparently cannot be hidden. Hide is not the same thing as minimize a window (to the dock). Minimize works.

This problem does not occur with any other apps I have running. I wonder if this bug has anything to do with the new appearance and animation options in Parallels Desktop?