SUSE 10 Desktop / networking issues?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cyberchucktx, Jul 31, 2006.

1. cyberchucktx

cyberchucktx Junior Member

All:

I recentliy received a copy of the SUSE Desktop 10 (not sure whether it is 10.0 or 10.1).

I, too, had a freeze during installation. HOWEVER when I rebooted the system came up WITH THE EXCEPTION of the networking.

I have not yet gotten networking to work properly. I used Bridged networking (worked fine with Fedora Core 5 and Ubuntu) but no go with SUSE so far.

Any thoughts on how to get this running?

Assuming I find an answer to the networking problem (I'm going to ask my Novell rep for help, he's a great LINUX geek) please monitor this thread.

Parallels support folk: any thoughts / other reports on this?

Thanks,
    Charlie Lindahl
    Texas A&M Health Science Center

2. extensivegroup

extensivegroup Member

Hm, no issues here. I can turn off and turn back on networking via the Parallels interface (bridged). What machine are you using this with? Are you bridging ethernet or airport?

Mine is the "OpenSUSE" version 10.1 distributed by Novell.

The only issue I'm having is updating the software. I keep getting a "Dependency Resolution Failed" error when starting the update script (for any update).

3. cyberchucktx

cyberchucktx Junior Member

Mine is SUSE Desktop 10

My copy of SUSE is Desktop Enterprise Linux Version 10 (SLED).

It is NOT Open SUSE.

It *appears* to be attempting to use the same kernel module that Fedora Core 5 does (ne2k-pci).

Still banging (a bit) on it from time to time. But without network access inside the VM it is
    sorta painful to download things *into* the VM / SUSE instance.

Anyone else have a clue as to how to proceed?

Charlie

4. JosephDP

JosephDP Bit poster

SLED 10 networking problems

I was having the same problem, but no more. Skip ahead to the exciting conclusion at the end.

I downloaded the iso image of the installation DVD for Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop [SLED] 10 for x86 32 -bit architecture. The installation went very well, other than it stalled during the network configuration test. This test includes downloading the latest release notes, and has a "results" field and "abort test" button. After two hours [I'm patient] :rolleyes: I clicked on "abort test" and the results showed "failure".

Machine and versions:

* MacBookPro17 with MacOSX 10.4.7, all current updates, standard configuration [1 GB RAM, 120 GB at 5400 rpm hdd]

* Parallels Desktop for Mac Build 1848.2

* SLED 10-0-20060923-132957 configured for use with laptop

* VM set up wtih Bridged Network Adapater enabled, connect at start up, using the default adpater. The adapter is the Realtek 8029(AS). Using the airport 802.11g.

When checking network status within SLED running under Paralles, it shows packets received and sent, but I can't get out to anything, and the network status is NOT CONNECTED.

I've tried setting up the wireless network in SLED, but that didn't help, nor did I really expect it too.

Then I noticed the network icon down in the right corner of the status bar. Click on it, select wired network, the "working" icon should show up spinning, and low and behold, it connects.

And all is wondrous well. :)