Parallels Crash with FileVault

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Sideways, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Sideways

Sideways Member

Hi, I trialled the beta of Parallels and then bought the released product as soon as it arrived, and until Sunday, was a very happy user. I run two instances of Windows XP (not at same time) for differing development environments for clients.
    Unfortunately, on Sunday Parallels crashed on startup, deleted the Windows XP hdd I was working in. If that wasnt bad enough, it also deleted all the other (non-parallels) files in the same directory as well as the other Parallels HDD for the environment that was not active. It would not then startup again !
    More importantly the crash corrupted the FileVault of my home directory.
    The corruption was so bad, Disk Utility could not correct the errors on the sparseimage file. Luckily I take good backups and was able to restore with no lost work. :)
    Given the serious nature, can I ask if anybody else has seen this problem ? Am interested to identify whether its a problem with FileVault or Parallels, or the combination of the two.

Havent had any response from Parallels themselves when I sent in emails about this detailing the steps to preproduce the problem. Is this because all support issues are handled through these forums or is a question of overworked customer support ?

Thanks,

Paul

2. namery

namery Member

File vault is notorious for causing general problems in OSX. if you google 'Filevault problems' quite a lot of stuff comes up! Apple recognised it as an issue in Panther, but I haven't heard much since.

3. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

I'm waiting for the Intel version of PGPDisk - I think it's a much better alternative.