refund for usb problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dmgwork, Jul 19, 2006.

1. constant

constant Forum Maven

There is always network sharing of devices, and this should work with all USB devices.

I really don't know why people are not doing this more. All you do is use Samba, or Bonjour(I think as I don't know mac too much), or windohs sharing to create a share of the device, and then simply connect a network device in the guest os.

From personal testing I know it works with a deskjet printer, a flash drive, and a camera. Not extensive, but covering the devices that constitute the majority of USB device usage.

And you maintain 2.0 use of the device.

2. rcomeau

rcomeau Member

Your solution refers to a few types of USB devices, like a printer and maybe a scanner. This does not apply to many other devices, like USB-serial converters and other devices that are not meant to be shared over a network. Even in the case of a printer, sharing a printer over a network often means loosing some of the printer's features as there is a full-featured USB driver to access all the printer's features, but the network share often makes the printer appear like a basic postscript printer. For example, if I connect an Epson printer to my Mac via USB, I can select diferent media to print to, including to a printable CD (to make custom CD labels), while using the printer via sharing, I can only select legal or ledger paper.

That's why many people are asking for proper USB support because sharing helps only a fraction of the affected users.

Regards,

rcomeau

3. conalho

conalho Member

They'll definitely need to provide full USB support in the next release. I think they're going to lose customers if they don't soon.

4. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

no refund yet

although they promised me a refund they have not done it. also fyi the current beta still doesnt work with the xerox 252 scanner

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

dmgwork,

All refund requests are usually satisfied - probably your request was lost. I will ask support team to contact you.

6. pderby

pderby Member

There may be an alternative for those of us needing robust and solid USB support. If VMWARE's announced and upcoming solution supports USB then we will have an alternative choice.

Parallels was first to market and have been responsive to the Mac community during the early days of the Intel Macs. I WANT to stay with Parallels, and I hope they solve the USB challenges. However, if Parallels can't get USB running and VMWare can, then there is no choice but to go to VMWare. We will all know in a few months.

From my viewpoint, I'd sure like USB a LOT more than I want a new major release of Parallels. Not having USB 2 support and good USB support in general on a PC is like having a PC with essential I/O capability missing or dead. In other words, unusable except for stand alone programs that don't talk to the outside world except via IP.

The competitive pressure will get pretty intense if VMware or one of the other virtual solutions gets USB working! It will just take some patience and time...then the solution market will shake out quickly.

I want to stay with Parallels .... so I do hope you guys on Parallels development get those USB bugs knocked down quickly. Why don't you put that new, major release on the back burner a couple of weeks (or however long it takes) and get your released product working like it should before you get eaten alive by a competitor? No one wants the current release or a new release with the fragile USB support Parallels currently has. So if you get USB working first, then you can take care of the current problem and have a decent base for building your next "major" release.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  7. conalho

conalho Member

I agree!

I agree! i've also been thinking of moving to VMWare if Parallels does not offer full support for USB in the next couple of months.

Plus, how about allowing CD and DVD burning in Parallels? Right now, the MacBook Pro's Superdrive reads as CD-ROM only. Another I/O limitation!

8. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

I will look forward to contact, I assume by this, you dont plan on supporting USB devices fully or are not wanting to work with people to fix these issues. Thats ok, I'd rather have an honest response, like we will give you a refund, than be deceived by promisses of future compatibility.

9. STim

STim Bit poster

dmgwork,

Please check your personal messages. I need your order ID # to track the refund status.

10. mtroute

mtroute Junior Member

So we paid to beta test your product for you

I find it reprehensible that you would charge $80 dollars for a product that is still in beta.

It seems that USB support would have been fleshed out during the beta period. Now after you release a product as final, you are missing a crucial requirement. Your rush to market is going to cost you in the long run. I will tell everyone that asks me about your product that you don't support USB and they should use Boot Camp.

On top of that, you will ask all of the beta-testers that PAID for the privilege, to pay for the next major upgrade that will end up being the version the should have been the Golden master in the first place.

Nice entry into the Mac market. You will learn quickly that the Windows worlds view that good enough is good enough won't fly with the mac world. Your trial by fire has begun.

11. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

I find this a little strong. Firstly, Parallels Desktop is not "in beta". It's a finished product and provides a complete solution for literally thousands of people. Simply because version 1 of Parallels Desktop did not solve your needs does not mean that the company is "reprehensible". Furthermore, Parallel's isn't asking you to plonk down $80 without knowing the product will work for you. They give you a free trial so use it and if it turns out it does what you need then pay $80.

Secondly, it is clear Parallels are working hard on the next version as the beta of the upcoming version does have substantially improved USB support. Indeed, it has excellent USB support.

12. rcomeau

rcomeau Member

I suppose the statement "substantially improved USB support" is open for debate. The latest beta kernel panicks more than the last version when I plug in a USB-Serial adapter and when it does not panic, does not work any better than any of the previous versions. If they ask me to pay again for version 2 to get the functionality that was promised for version 1, then they will be disappointed.

I have given Parallels a lot of slack to solve this problem, but in the end, if it does not work, it does not work. No goodwill or hoping or wishing or fuzzy feelings for a new Mac developer on the block is going to help. If another solution comes first that works (or I finally give up and reformat/partition my drive for bootcamp) then this will be the last version of Parallels I use.

Regards,

rcomeau

13. mtroute

mtroute Junior Member

Not a Beta? Well maybe according to the marketing department. But clearly, any product that advertises itself as a "Virtual Machine" should support the functions of an "actual Machine".

Here is a question, do the other products that Parallels sell support USB printing? If they do then how can you or anyone for that matter consider this as anything more than a beta product.

As to the "Trial software", as nice as that would be in a personal environment, as a Mac/PC consultant many of my clients rely on me to provide guidance and many times I do not have the time or resources to test every product I recommend. Sometimes I am forced to rely on a companies marketing, hardly ideal I know.

And for the update, what the hell is "substantially improved" USB support? Does it work or not...

14. rteichman

rteichman Junior Member

Well Virtual PC 6 and 7 never had good USB support and it was never sold as Beta and heck it was a MicroSoft product in the end.... Parallels is a great product but has its limitiations. The lack of full USB support does not mean its a beta product, or that it is a bad product, just a limit of the capabilities. If you need USB support so bad for your WinTel software use bootcamp, don't complain about Parallels. Does it say FULL USB support anywhere? No it says IMPROVED which obviously means that it is not FULLY supported.

15. mtroute

mtroute Junior Member

I am not talking about some GPS enabled RFID supply chain scanning solution, I just want to be able to print from my special Wintel software, like Quickbooks, or IE6...I know it's crazy for me to ask for such advanced features, but.....

16. mtroute

mtroute Junior Member

by the way, this is directly from the Parallels website...Now what part should I construe as limited usb support...(emphasis added)

Build virtual machines that work exactly like stand-alone Windows computers
    Use applications, access the internet, and work with any piece of hardware just like you would on a real computer, without the hassle of shutting down or booting up OSes or switching between terminals.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  17. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Why? How is it clear in any way? Your statement is absurd on many levels. For example, Is "virtual reality" the same as "actual reality"? Does anyone truly believe that any "virtual machine" ever created will have exactly the same functionality as the corresponding "actual machine"? I have NEVER used any virtual machine that supports all the functionality and speed of the corresponding actual machine.

This includes WINE, VMWare, Crossover, Q, Bochs, iEmulator... hell even old Amiga, Spectrum, Console emulators. Not a single virtual machine I have ever used in the last 20 years of computing has ever provided the same functionality as the real machine. Again, how is it in any way clear that a virtual machine should support the functions of an actual machine?

You have created your own assumption out of nothing and now you are angry because the software does not match up an assumption you yourself created.

Don't know, don't care. I can print fine through my virtual machine on Parallels. I know some people can't... if those people really need to print then they should plug their printer into another machine and share it over the network or find another solution (you suggest Boot Camp, you could use that).

What!? Can you repeat that? You recommend software that you haven't tested to other people!? Seriously? Don't worry, after that statement I've already made a note to NEVER take any of your advice on software.

If you are recommending software you have no experience with to paying customers then I'm sorry but I feel no pity for you if that comes back to bite you in the ass later.

Yup, works perfectly on all of my devices (I have about 30 I use with Parallels).

Despite that I know USB support isn't the same as on a real Windows PC. I know people continue to have problems using certain devices. I believe it will be improved in future versions of Parallels but I have no expectations that it will ever be identical to true USB support on an actual machine.

18. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

19. mtroute

mtroute Junior Member

and yet they advertise that it does...

Please be assured that a geek of your evident stature would never take a recommendation from anyone anyhow...But thankfully my clients are regular people that know nothing about computers or networks, so rely on my expertise, and yes I am an expert, Cisco, Microsoft and Apple have certified me as such...

Let's be clear here, this product is being marketed to the casual user, not the war-driving, Linux pimping, ubergeek, no offense...

So if you advertise, as I stated in a previous post which you conveniently dis-regarded in your rant-response, that Parallels lets you "Build virtual machines that work exactly like stand-alone Windows computers " well your argument that I "...have created your own assumption out of nothing and now you are angry because the software does not match up an assumption you yourself created..." simply doesn't hold water.

One final note, since everyone seems to be missing the irony of some of my statements. I am fully aware that Parallels Desktop for Mac is a final shipping product. However, my point is that it is not ready to be a final shipping product, it clearly doesn't measure up to what they are advertising, are you all really that obtuse?

From Wikipedia...:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_stage

A beta version or beta release usually represents the first version of a computer program that implements all features in the initial software requirements specification. It is likely to be unstable but useful for internal demonstrations and previews to select customers, but not yet ready for release. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, as a technical preview (TP) or as an early access.

Yo momma...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  20. mtroute

mtroute Junior Member

Please see my response to maverick808...I before E except after C...