Can I HotSync a Palm to Windows using Parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by luomat, Apr 11, 2006.

1. luomat

luomat Hunter

I have some Windows-only software which I need to HotSync with my Palm.

Right now to manage this I need to have a second computer.

I would love to be able to use an Intel Mac to run Windows, but I am unsure if it is possible to HotSync from Parallels on Mac OS X to Windows XP.

And of course I don't yet have an Intel based Mac, otherwise it would be an easy enough thing to "just try it" :)

2. konstantin

konstantin Member

No USB support in 2.1

3. The Bolas Heathens

The Bolas Heathens Bit poster

Just trying to sync my Palm with Windows using the latest Paralells beta with USB support and nothing is happening.

Is this supposed to work now or is it still being worked on?

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Did tried it with Beta6?

5. The Bolas Heathens

Yes.

Beta 6 now means I can use my Garmin GPS with it but the Palm is still not working via USB.

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

OK. We will investigate this issue.

7. dbbrow2

dbbrow2 Bit poster

For my two cents I'm trying to do the same thing with a MacBook Pro, OS/X 10.4.6, and a Palm Treo 650 (Parallels V2.1,B6). The USB sync always starts, goes for a while and then fails. It does do 'something' in that it populates a previously empty calendar but it never syncs up the contacts part of the process and anything that happens after that.

8. The Bolas Heathens

My setup is iMac Core Duo, OS X 10.4.6 and a Palm Tungsten E2. It does not even get as far as starting the sync process under Windows - I click on the Palm screen to hotsync it and Windows does absolutely nothing.

If I reboot the iMac to Windows using BootCamp it works perfectly.

9. The Bolas Heathens

I take back what I said earlier - I think I have it working.

I thought I'd removed the Palm software from OS X but there was still a service running in the background which was stopping the Palm getting through to Windows under Paralells. I've removed this service, re-started my Mac and it seems to be syncing with Windows now.

Excellent!

10. The Bolas Heathens

OK - I've been doing a bit of testing and the Palm sync works ok for small amounts of data but I often have to sync a 39Mb file to the Palm and this seems to cause the sync to fail when running under Parallels on XP. The message is about the connection between XP and the Palm being lost.

Apart from that it seems ok.

11. Ken Kling

Ken Kling Junior Member

Count me in too, Palm HotSyncs do not work for me at all.

My configuration: MacBook Pro, 1GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.6, Parallels beta 6, minimum 384MB RAM given to VM, WinXP (fully patched), Palm HotSync Manager v. 4.1.0 for Windows, no Mac OS Palm software installed at all, USB cable synching to a Palm Tungsten E.

What I see: Once when I tried to perform a HotSync WinXP recognized that a USB device was been connected (played the sound indicating a USB device has been recognized), but the HotSync software did not respond. In all subsequent testing Windows does not respond to the Palm device at all. If I perform a right-click on the USB icon in the Parallels console status bar, I see "Palm Handheld" listed as a device (while the device is actually trying to sync), so Paralles is seeing the device correctly, but beyond that, something is failing.

12. kaufman

kaufman Member

I am having trouble getting my Pocket PC to sync. Has anyone had any luck with it?

MLK

13. M.D.

M.D. Bit poster

My platform: MacBook Pro 15"; 2.16 GHz; 2 GB RAM; Today's download of Parallels Beta 6 confugured: Windows 2000 Pro, Memory 708 MB; Hard Disk 1: 10000 MB; Network Adapter Bridged Ethernet; en1: AirPort/Wireless Adapter; USB Controller Autoconnect On; Palm Desktop 3.1; Handspring Visor Platinum; Eyemodule2.

As others already stated, "something" does take place when I try to synch. The small rectangular Palm Desktop synch progress indicator field does pop up screen center -- as it should -- but it remains there for only a fraction of a second instead of the full extended period of the synch cycle. The Handspring Visor Platinum then displays the usual error message.

Attempting to view the synch log reveals the fact that there is no existing log file.

Yes, I did purchase a pre-order. Clearly I really hope you can make this work. TIA!

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  14. billh

billh Bit poster

Treo 600

My Treo 600 also does not completely connect as well. Looks more like it knows there is a USB device, however no communications take place.

I am also having issues with USB printing and a U3 2GB Cruiser Micro. It appears that the USB issues aren't quite resolved yet.

I hope that the developers get a handle on this, they have done such a great job with everything else. I keep having to remind myself that this is still a beta.

15. Ken Kling

Ken Kling Junior Member

With the 1832 RC version, Palm HotSyncs are now working! I did have to select the "Local USB" in the HotSync menu (right-click on the HotSync icon in the System Tray) to get it to work. Don't know when that got unchecked.

16. andrewsyage

andrewsyage Bit poster

Ken,

I tried what you said and I still am not able to fully sync my Treo 650 with parallels. I have over 5,000 contacts that need to be synched.

Andrew @ Parallels, any suggestions?

Any help is appreciated.

17. Gregg

Gregg Bit poster

Will I ever be able to sync via Bluetooth with XP and my Treo 650 through Parallels? Needless to say I can't even get it to sync via usb yet but I am hoping! LOL I already paid and this was key. I am a big dummy.