beta 1862 might have something wrong

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cooltony, Aug 9, 2006.

1. cooltony

cooltony Bit poster

i upgrade to 1862 yesterday, and then it corrupted my w2k after compressor

I do some search on google today and then i found here.

It's a beta version, so mess something up is useful, not a big deal

I install Windows xp pro today , yep , on the beta 1862

I installed TWICE , and parallels SHUT my macbook DOWN without warring twice.

twice at the same point , when i was upgrading my windows xp.

2. namery

namery Member

the macbook shutdowns may have been to do with a problem that a lot of macbooks have had, Probably not a parallels issue. If you get it repaired by apple, they replace the logic board, my Macbook is being repaired at the moment. See the apple discussion forums macBook section, and search for 'random shutdowns'

3. cooltony

cooltony Bit poster

Thanks for the information, but my macbook never shutdown with out warning before.

I uninstall the 1862 beta, and reinstall the previous version 1848, anything works smoothly.

why i think it's parallels problem? , because it shut down my macbook when doing same process -- windows updating.

By the way, i use two different version of windows xp cd, so may not be windows fault.

4. NontrivialMatt

NontrivialMatt Bit poster

I too have experienced shutdowns on my MacBook since installing build 1862. In the system logs there are no kernel panics or any other logs when the system shuts down.

I do see some logs indicating some possible issues with the Parallels network drivers upon startup. Also, almost every time I restart my MacBook the permissions on the Parallels items in StartupItems is wrong - OSX asks if I want to repair them, I always say Yes and then restart.

Aug 18 11:52:20 dirkness kernel[0]: Parallels Workstation VMM Main driver started.
    Aug 18 11:52:20 dirkness configd[37]: target=enable-network: disabled
    Aug 18 11:52:20 dirkness kernel[0]: (45: SystemStarter)tfp: failed on 0:
    Aug 18 11:52:21 dirkness kernel[0]: com_parallels_kext_Pvsvnic: Ethernet address 00:01:23:45:67:89
    Aug 18 11:52:22 dirkness prl_dhcp[205]: Can not bind to en2.
    Aug 18 11:52:22 dirkness kernel[0]: (45: SystemStarter)tfp: failed on 0:
    Aug 18 11:52:22 dirkness SystemStarter[45]: Parallels VirtualMachine drivers (116) did not complete successfully
    Aug 18 11:52:40 dirkness SystemStarter[45]: The following StartupItems failed to properly start:
    Aug 18 11:52:40 dirkness SystemStarter[45]: /Library/StartupItems/Parallels
    Aug 18 11:52:40 dirkness SystemStarter[45]: - execution of Startup script failed

I had not experienced a single shutdown on my MacBook before installing the 1862 beta - I've been using my MacBook and Parallels for about 2.5 months now.

Anyone else experiencing this?

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

I've been having increasing problems after installing the beta, but this may not be a Parallels problem. I clearly have a corrupted Mac OS, and am investigating. I suspect the beta MAY have had something to do with it, but the evidence is unclear so far.

One symptom is that on Mac OS boot, without Parallels, Airport says it's connected, but has no network access because it has a self assigned IP, not a DHCP IP. Turning Airport off then back on resolves the problem. Parallels won't start, and uninstalling it with the beta uninstall does not fix the network problem. The logs show unrelated errors, but are so far unhelpful.

Apple hardware diagnostics found no problems.

Archive and install from the original DVD fails to complete, and Apple has acknowledged this is a problem. A clean install on an external disk followed by migration of the old disk restores solid operation, although FWIW, the migration assistant doesn't migrate everything (such as MYSQL).

I've preserved a copy of the non-working image, and if I have some time in the next few weeks, I'll try to narow down the problem with the OS, but for now I'm going back to GA due to lack of "free" time.

The bottom line seems to be that a small amount of corruption in OSX prevents Parallels form working properly, but has little noticable effect on OSX operation. Failure of Parallels to install or function properly isn't always a Parallels problem.

Stay tuned.

6. NontrivialMatt

NontrivialMatt Bit poster

Since my post about the topic, I've identified the problem with my MacBook shutting down. It turns out that it's not related to Parallels at all (as far as I can tell) and certainly not to the beta. I uninstalled the beta, reinstalled the 1.0 stable build and had the same random shutdowns.

What I've learned is that the random shutdown issue is somewhat common on the new MacBooks, and although Apple doesn't have a technical bulletin specifically about the issue, there are several discussions on Apple's support site about the issue.

I took my MacBook in to my local Apple Store and they sent it off for repair. They ended up replacing the "top case", keyboard and trackpad, but not the logic board, as others have reported. It all works just fine now that it's back, including Parallels.

7. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

Just in case anyone else is having random shutdown problems:

I was having this problem with a MacBook Pro, and it turns out the problem was the battery. Apple sent me a replacement battery (based on some diagnostic info I read them from the Apple System Profiler) and I haven't had this problem since.

So, anyone who is having random shutdown problems, check to see if this problem only happens when you are running on battery, in which case it could be the same problem I had. IF it happens while you are plugged in to the AC, well, then I guess that's something else.