Installed latest beta/Shared folders missing

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tangential, Aug 8, 2006.

1. tangential

tangential Member

I installed the latest beta.

Went in painlessly and I started up an XP Pro SP2 machine and installed the latest tools.

When I restarted it after the install, the shared folders were gone.

Anyone know what I need to do to get them back?

John

2. STim

STim Bit poster

John,

Are they totally missing? Or it's just no shortcut available on the Win desktop? Will pointing Explorer to \\.psf give you access to Shared Folders?

Regards,
    Tim

3. Robster

Robster Hunter

Your lucky.

I cannot get the Parallels tools to install and so far no-one from Parallels has responded to my questions.

Robin

4. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

5. tangential

tangential Member

When I run \\.psf an explorer window comes up. It is title "Parallels Shared Folders (.psf)".

It is empty and I cannot paste anything into it.

6. Robster

Robster Hunter

Nope.

NOTHING happens.

Not a damn thing other than the menu option changing to CANCEL Installation.

I have left it for over an hour...............

Robin

7. doctor46

doctor46 Bit poster

Same problem for me, it disappeared from the desktop, even though in the vm edit it shows an active and enabled shared folder.

8. tangential

tangential Member

Shared Folders Have Returned

I shutdown then VM and then went into the VM editor and removed and readded all of my shared folders.

They are now working (except that desktop icon is gone.)

John

9. tangential

tangential Member

Desktop shortcut is back now too

I'm a *nix guy, not much of a Windows user. Took me a moment to realize that I could recreate the desktop icon.

Manually recreated the shortcut, so that is back now too.:)

10. hans sep

hans sep Junior Member

I am experiencing the same issues described earlier (installing share takes forever). Found it is related to an issue installing the network service needed for this.

When I try to manually install the "Parallels Shared Folders Network Provider" the dialog where I should be able to select the .inf does not show up and processor load goes up to 100%.

Hope someone can fix this.

11. enthios

enthios Member

I installed the new Aug 7 beta with no problems, and the Shared Folders are still there.

I do have a small problem with shared folders that does not seem to have changed in this beta. I created two shared folders, one is my Desktop and the other is simply the main folder of my identity on OSX. The Desktop folder crashes whenever I try to access it ("Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close..."). However it works fine on the shared folder that is linked directly to my Identity. I am GUESSING that the identiy folder (called "Michael" resides closer to the to of the root, and so requires fewer "clicks" to reach, whereas the Desktop folder actually resides one layer below the identity folder. That's all I can come up with.

Anyhow, I did not notice any improvement in access time. Then again, it's not a big issue for me.

12. Robster

Robster Hunter

Did you update your Parallels Additions?

I find that shared folders are MUCH faster under this new beta build.

Robin