VM latest release addresses USB/RS422 adapter issues

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Henry-In-Florida, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Henry-In-Florida

Henry-In-Florida Member

Does the release version of Parallels address the failure of previous RC's to talk to USB adapters?:confused:

2. rcomeau

rcomeau Member

Well, yes and no. I am trying to use either the Keyspan 4 port adapter (USA-49WLC) and/or the Keyspan high speed adapter (USA-19HS) with mixed success. First, you have to either remove the drivers on the Mac side (either uninstall or use the command line kextunload ...). Then, after installing the Windows drivers, you *should* be able to use the device. I am having mixed results so far. I have been testing it with Parallels and bootcamp and have funny results:

Bootcamp: The 4 port adapter seems to work fine, however the 1 port adapter does not. The Keyspan assistant softaware sees the device and it can send a break to reset the serial device (in our case a 3D position sensor in our lab) at the other end however cannot send data.

Parallels: The Keyspan assistant software can see the single port device, but does not work in the same way as in bootcamp. I suspect a driver issue (different driver version than the 4-port). I once got the 4-port to work I think, but since then, the Keyspan assistant software does not see the device, and it periodically shows up in the USB list as a "vendor-specific" something or another rather than the USA-49WC as one would expect.

I did get the 1-port adapter to talk to my GPS, however it only works once, and I then have to unplug and plug the device back in again to get it to work each time.

So I think we have a ways to go yet on the USB-Serial front, however now it is getting muddy as to where the problems lie. I have not tried these on a "real PC" yet so I don't yet have a benchmark to compare to.

Anyone else who has either gotten their Keyspan (or other vendor to work), or conversely had problems that might add to the discussion, please reply here.

Regards,

rcomeau

3. petro

petro Member

If you have a USB serial adapter (I have a Keyspan), you can try this:
    http://eudyptes.com/SerialClient.php

Thanks to Eudyptes for a great tool to make Parallels talk to serial devices!

Now if someone could tell me a trick to get it to work with my Apple USB modem so I could use it to dial from a Door Security app in Windows I'd be set!

4. rcomeau

rcomeau Member

Hi,

I think this may address may users' needs, however I need to be able to switch serial port speeds on the fly. That is, the Windows software that talks to the serial device I need to work with sends a serial break to reset the device (whcih sets the serial port speed to 9600), then requests that the speed be increased. The last time I checked, SerialClient did not suport changes to the serial port speed on the fly.

Have you not been able to get your KeySpan to work the way it was intended (using the Windows driver)?

Cheers,

rcomeau

5. petro

petro Member

I hadn't tried to get my keyspan working directly in windows, since it seems the solutions mean that the keyspan no longer works in MacOS, even when the VM is shut down.

cheers,
    -pete

6. rcomeau

rcomeau Member

I've been trying to use the terminal commands kextunload and kextload to remove the Keyspan driver from the Mac side so at least parallels can see the adapter now, although I have had several kernel panics lately when connecting to the device. I may give up soon, repartition my drive and try bootcamp.

rcomeau