New beta fails to start a virtual machine

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by gbevin, Aug 8, 2006.

1. BrentB

BrentB Member

Just reinstalled 1848, and I'm able to start both VMs, so it's definitely something new introduced in the beta.

I *did* see a visible improvement in mouse performance under both linux distributions under 1862. Not perfect by any means, but noticably smoother. =)

2. mcg

mcg Hunter

Same problem here.
    MBP 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM total, 512MB allocated for OS
    92.84GB total disk space, 39.15GB free.
    Multiple reboots, uninstall/reinstall cycles do not solve the problem.
    Going to attempt a downdate now.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  3. pcolton

pcolton Bit poster

I have same problem.

1. Your Mac total amount of RAM.
    2GB

2. The amount of RAM you specify for guest OS.
    512MB

3. Reserved memory limit (you can check it at Parallels Desktop->Preferences->Memory tab)
    1624MB

4. MacOS X version. Are all available updates installed?
    10.4.7, current with all updates

4. STim

STim Bit poster

Guys,

Thank you all. We probably know what causes the problem and are now fixing it. Please keep an eye on this thread for next 36 hours, we'll provide the solution.

Thank you very much again!

Regards,
    Tim

5. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I wanted to post that on my system the beta is working FINE, but I thought posting my system info may in some way help narrow this down...

Again, the beta works FINE for me:

1. 2Gig
    2. 512MB
    3. 612MB
    4. 10.4.7, all updates are installed.

6. mcg

mcg Hunter

Update to my previous post: downdating solved the problem.
    Oh, and I'm running 10.4.7 with all the latest fixes.
    Glad to hear you've identified the problem! I am looking forward to trying the new version.

7. endlessbender

endlessbender Member

Same problem here:

MBP 2.16
    OSX 10.4.7 all updates
    1GB RAM
    256 Memory allocated for Parallels
    9GB free on HD

Should I uninstall and then reinstall old version?

8. mcg

mcg Hunter

Yes, you should, unless you're content to wait the estimated 36 hours for the fix.

9. endlessbender

endlessbender Member

Downdating

Sorry, not trying to sound stupid here, but in order to 'downdate', do I need to:
    1. Uninstall the update.
    2. Reinstall Parallels (old stable build)
    3. Install Windows XP
    4. Install all programs
    ???

Hopefully I can just make a copy of the .hdd file and save to desktop and then drag it in when the time comes?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  10. mcg

mcg Hunter

Don't worry, you don't need to reinstall Windows XP and those programs. All you need to do is uninstall the beta version of Parallels, and install the previous version. Your virtual machines won't be deleted.

11. Delphyne

Delphyne Member

MacBook 2.0ghz, 2gb ram, 120gb hdd

2gb total ram, 1500mb reserved by parallels, 384 for virtual machine, 10.4.7 w/ all updates. 38gb free space on HDD. HDD Cacheing strategy set to guest os.

Problem manifests when one virtual machine (winxp 768 reserved for VM) is running and second VM (384mb) is started. This problem does not occur with the retail release.

In my case, quitting the first virutal machine and restarting the 2nd allowed the second to run. However, it is not possible to run both at the same time right now.

12. strongbad

strongbad Bit poster

It has been more than 36 hours. Any updates to the status of this?

13. waterhead37

waterhead37 Member

Same problem

1. MBP 17 inch

2. 2GB RAM
    3. 256MB allocated for Parallels
    4. 1624 MB Reserved memory
    10.4.7 all updates installed

I have tried to uninstall/inastall several times to no avail. I am now back to the offical release and it's working finr (apart from its usual limitations - USB etc)

Chris

14. krakman

krakman Bit poster

Possible Work Around

i also have a 2 Gig 17" MBP with 22 Gig disk space free...

I found that if I reset OSX and start parallels as first program I can have one or even two VM's running..

If I let a lot of other applications load and run first.. then I can not even get one VM working..

Best of Luck to all others..

15. jwalthour

jwalthour Member

I am having the same problem here.

MacBook Pro
    2 GB RAM
    2 GHz
    22 GB free hard disk space.

I've been using the beta for the past few days (since it came out) without problems. Today it started up with this error, apparently for no reason. I've changed nothing since yesterday when I last ran Parallels. I am going to uninstall the beta and reinstall the stable build to get up and running, but I wanted to report the problem nonetheless.

16. luz

luz Member

Thanks, great hint!

Thanks for that hint, this helped me very much - because I need two VMs running in parallel and when I now start them immediately after OS X reboot it works! So I can probably avoid going back to GA before they fix this issue (36h passed and waiting.. :))

17. gsibley

gsibley Bit poster

FYI, same problem here.

2Ghz MBP
    2G RAM
    35 G free disk space.

thx,
    Gabe

18. krypttic

krypttic Bit poster

They DID say 36 HOURS and not 36 DAYS, right???

19. Jisi

Jisi Member

Yeah patience, patience. Perhaps they're out of coffee or something :)

20. tj4shee

tj4shee Member

Maybe they meant business hours..... but either way, give them some patience.... if any of you are SAs or developers you understand the 'rock and a hard place' of people pushing you for a resolution you don't know anything about yet......

I can remember the days of having a production mainframe down and VPs breathing down your neck wanting to know when it will be back up..... only 5 mins after it went down..... which is on the same order of asking "When will I win the lottery ?"

This is intense and complex stuff..... from past experience with the Parallels team, they are working on it.

And for those of you that want to respond to me with "Then they shouldn't give us a time frame" - Yeah Right.... like you would not complain about an answer of "Don't know when it will be fixed"