Lost modifier keys in Synergy - Parallels Beta Build 1862

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by David Graham, Aug 9, 2006.

1. David Graham

David Graham Junior Member

I completely depend on Synergy to control my multiple machines with one keyboard & mouse. Since I installed the latest Beta I can no longer use ctrl, option or alt modifier keys on my Synergy client machines running Parallels. They still work just fine in the Mac OS X environment but not inside the VM.

I'm assuming that Synergy passes keystrokes in software and Parallels might now be working more directly with hardware. I can't live without Synergy, but I also can't live with my Alt keyboard shortcuts, copy/paste, et al.

Any ideas?

- Dave

2. neosublime

neosublime Member

I'm having the exact same issue.

3. david

david Member

Yes, it has also screwed up virtue desktops (virtual desktop manager) again,...this happened with another beta at one point but they fixed it, now it's broken again.

There is a debate ongoing about how the keyboard should be treated when you are in the VM's OS, and that debate has everything to do with the problems we are having.

I think the only solution is to provide in the prefs for that VM an exclusion list of keyboard command or key combinations - so that you can specify that a key or combination of keys when pressed is sent to the OS X level, instead of the VM level. Then people can make this decision for themselves on an app by app basis.

I'll hope for something like this in a future release.

4. Radnor

Radnor Bit poster

What's wrong with Virtue Desktops? It's working fine for me.

As for the Synergy issue, also see here and here.

5. david

david Member

My "fault" I think, I had enabled access for assistive devices, which for some reason interferes with hot key switching...I am back up and running now! :)

6. monoclast

monoclast Member

I reported this too - glad to see I'm not alone!

See my post here:

http://forums.parallels.com/thread3645.html

Parallels Support, please respond! This will cause a lot of us to be unable to upgrade to future releases! :(

7. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for reporting! We will investigate this problem.

8. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Yeh, this was made to allow our VM distinguish left and right keyboard modifiers.
    Synergy experience problems cause it passes keystrokes on a lower lewel of the HID stack.
    We will ensure compatibility with it before this version leaves beta status.

9. inki

inki Bit poster

AltGr again...

Good to hear that synergy will be supported again. I also depend on this tool.

Another issue again is AltGR on non-english Keyboards. Since the right alt key on a standard keyboard is used as AltGR now everything works fine unless you're on the road with a MacBook Pro that does not have that key.

Could you please map the "fn" key or a combination of "fn" and "alt" of the MacBook Pro to AltGr so that we can finally type all chars even when we're not working with an external keyboard? I could even live with a small Icon I'd have to klick at if I want a simulated AltGr...

Ingo