Connecting to Hospital Novell Network: help me help IS

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Argelius, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Argelius

Argelius Junior Member

I work in a hospital that is on a Novell network. My MacBook (running OSX 10.4.7) is connected via an Ethernet cable through which I have internet access.

(Here's where my knowledge of the network's specifics falls apart.) Our department has access to a shared drive (commonly referred to as "The N-Drive" which I would like to have access to. Before calling on the IS people for assistance, I wanted to get some more information here since they do not officially support users with Macs. (Fortunately, I'm on good terms with several of the network guys, so they are willing to bend the rules for me).

While realizing I may have provided insufficient information for a specific answer, can you tell me:
    [1] Do I need Novell software installed to get access to this network drive?

[2] If so, does Novell provide a Mac-version (and if so, does it cost a gazillion dollars)?

Alternatively, I also have Parallels and WINXP on my system. Is there any reason installing the Novell software in Windows (on my Mac) wouldn't work?

I'd prefer to not have to use Parallels/Windows to do this, since, after switching to Mac about a year ago, I get hives when interacting with Windows...

Thanks!

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

3. Argelius

Argelius Junior Member

Oh, trust me -- I did the Google thing (and was aware that there is a Mac version of Netware, although I realize my post didn't indicate this). Just trying to see if I understand the parameters of my situation. I can spend $150 and by Netware for Mac. If Netware will work via Parallels, I don't have to spend that $, since the hosptial will provide that free of charge).

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

Yes, though I have not done this myself, it is my understanding Netware will work via Parallels.

And if anybody is interested in a Netware client for Mac, the link is above.;-)

5. extensivegroup

extensivegroup Member

The Prosoft client is spotty at best. I've tried it separately on two clients running Netware 6.5 and in both instances they could connect but resource forks were nil.

(edit -- these were clients coming from OS 9.2 to OS X 10.4)

I'm dying to try running Novell Netware under Parallels. I think this could be an ideal solution for my clients.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  6. iMbEst

iMbEst Member

what about the netware running in dos within Parallels?