After Compressor; Cannot Login XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Compressor' started by pcolag8r, Jul 29, 2006.

1. pcolag8r

pcolag8r Member

I'm using parallels (final) with winxp pro sp2 fully updated. Everything worked fine. I had xp setup with a username/password that I've been using for weeks. I decided to use compressor because I had deleted some rather large files and wanted to reduce my hdd space (using expanding hdd). Well, after everything completed successfully, I rebooted the vm. Now, it will not accept my username and password. I've tried everything. I know my username/pass are correct.

What the ##$#$@#ck! Any ideas. I don't want to have to re-install because, 1) activation is a biatch and 2) I spent a lot of time customizing the setup.

Help.

2. pcolag8r

pcolag8r Member

Maybe I should clarify that I'm using the compact/compress feature in the Desktop for Mac product and not the stand-alone compressor product. Maybe this should be moved to the Parallels Desktop for Mac forum.

3. pcolag8r

pcolag8r Member

Thank God!

I used the free tool at http://ebcd.pcministry.com/ to reset my passwords. Great tool. I blanked my passwords and was able to login.

Still I need to know what happened during the compressor activity to corrupt/reset my passwords. This is a serious problem.

Has it happened to anyone else?

4. ksigit

ksigit Junior Member

I just experience the same thing. I managed to logged-in on the 3rd try, though. I guess compressor messing up the registry data (ntuser.dat) somehow.

5. pcolag8r

pcolag8r Member