So what's the deal with Office (Word) 2004?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Stark, May 21, 2006.

1. Stark

Stark Bit poster

Overall, I give Parallels a big 90% positive rating. The 10% negative is because I can't copy and paste anything from XP to Word 2004 on OSX. TextEdit works fine, it's just Word 2004 that doesn't work.

Is there something I need to change in Word to make it see the tools clipboard?

Thanks. ;)

2. MatthewR

MatthewR Member

It works everywhere EXCEPT Word, so I suspect Word is at fault. All of Microsoft Office is a bunch of old Carbon junk. Notice how it does some really stupid stuff like truncate filenames to the limit of the old Mac OS pre-X. Its no surprise the clipboard handling is somehow broken as well.

3. zfirst

zfirst Bit poster

And yet Word '04 behaves properly when pasting text from any other OS X app. Maybe the fault is with Word. Maybe it's with Parallels. Either way, and regardless of what you think about the quality of Microsoft's software, they're still the monopoly and it's still a good idea to make a brand new product like Parallels do whatever it can to play nice with the word processor that so many Mac users depend on.

4. sgpub

sgpub Junior Member

I'm using Parallels so that I can use Office 2003 (the Windows version) for my main work (editing schoolbooks) but the Mac for everything else. Office 2004 was simply not good enough -- slow, frustrating, unintuitive, unresponsive, unreliable, ...

Sorry, not really an answer to the original question.

5. Stark

Stark Bit poster

A lightbulb went off the other day...

Word/Office 2004 are not UB and therefore run in Rosetta.
    TextEdit is a UB.

But then I tried another non-UB/Rosetta program (Dreamweaver) and i can paste into it just fine.

6. tortoise128

tortoise128 Bit poster

I've found the same issue. I though cut and paste betwen the Windows XP and OS X wasn't working, but that was because I was using Word always as the test vehicle.

How weird. It appears to be a Word for Mac issue. You can copy from Word 2003 on the Windows side and paste into Powerpoint 004 or Excel 2004, but not Word 2004.

7. davidwat

davidwat Bit poster

Does anyone know if moving back to Word for Mac osX (n0t 2004) solce the copy/paste issue?

8. beej

beej Junior Member

PD's fault

i think it IS parallels' fault. try to paste into vi and you see there some strange trailing character that gets pasted along with the text you cut in XP. word and excel are just pickier than most apps about this, is my guess.

now if i can just figure out why cut and paste stopped working for me, altogether, just now :(

marc

9. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

Actually I think the trailing character has nothing to do with Parallels, but rather is a Windows thing. Keep in mind when you copy formatted text, you are often copying more than the text. Parallels may very well be transfering a character that is coppied in windows...

If this is the case it woudln't be Parallel's fault, though they very well might be able to come up with a means of working around this (eventually)...

10. beej

beej Junior Member

bobbyt: you are apparently incorrect.

from my own testing, if i copy text in windows and then (while still in windows) ssh into a freebsd machine and paste into a vi buffer, i don't see any trailing characters. when i ssh to the same host from OSX, i used to see two "^@" characters. with the latest beta, i see only one. it seems they've improved things, but still not completely fixed the problem. i still can't paste into excel for mac from a windows copy.

also, from the list of improvements at http://parallels.com/en/products/desktop/update_beta :
    Clipboard synchronization tool fixes (unreadable symbols sometimes added during copy and paste)

cheers,
    marc

11. bryanb

bryanb Bit poster

Not just Office. Also in Eudora

This is also problem in Eudora 6.2. This must have something to do with Rosetta...

12. beej

beej Junior Member

interestingly, the "fix" that was put in for the Update Beta makes it so that when you paste into a windows app from an OSX copy, you lose the last character :(

13. beej

beej Junior Member

bryanb: though rosetta'd apps may be affected more severely by rejecting the paste altogether, native apps are affected, too. try pasting from a windows copy into a native firefox URL bar and you'll see the resulting URL has a trailing %00 (or two if you aren't using the beta). there's you're extra null character. though you can't see it when you paste into web forms, it's there and causes problems unless you remember to hit backspace to delete it after every paste.

quite annoying. i've been trying to get this fixed via a paid telephone support call, but no luck yet.