Any Advice on running Photoshop and Flash with Parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by amaz, Aug 11, 2006.

1. amaz

amaz Bit poster

Does anyone have any advice or experience using Adobe CS and Macromedia Studio 8 with Parallels on a Macbook pro? Do these programs run slower on Parallels than with Boot Camp? I use Photoshop, Flash, and Dreamweaver alot. I'm trying to decide if Parallels will work for me so that I can avoid having to reformat my hard drive a couple months down the road. Thanks.

2. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

Come Sept my daughter will probably be using a similar config for school, so I'm curious on this too.

3. pogi

pogi Member

I'm a graphics designer and programmer and I use parallels desktop everyday with Adobe Photoshop CS w/o any problems. With this new "beta" update they released a few days ago, things run even better and smoother. I've completely abandoned my pentium 4 2.8ghz desktop running XP pro for my 2.0ghz Macbook running XP through Parallels. I also use Macromedia Flash 7 MX and it runs fine. I don't have 8 so I can't tell you how well that runs.

As always, BootCamp WILL be faster than running through parallels because native is always better (for the most part) than any virtualized/emulated solution in terms of speed. However, with that said, Parallels runs these programs very, very well.

Be sure to get the max (2 gigs) ram before attempting to use Parallels. I've assigned 1gb to XP.

Good luck!

4. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

Thank you pogi, this is VERY encouraging to hear.

You would not happen to also be using a more involved NLE movie making app like Pinnacle Studio or Pinnacle Liquid Edition too that you could comment on?

5. amaz

amaz Bit poster

Thanks, pogi! I appreciate the help. Do you also run Boot Camp or do you have any reason to? Will I have install Photoshop, Flash, etc. twice? (once in Boot Camp and again in Parallels) I'm considering using both programs just in case. I'm in grad school for photojournalism so I need these programs to work effciently!

6. VTMac

VTMac Pro

You would need to installed in both Parallels and Bootcamp -- they are totally separate partitions. I suspect the Adobe Activate process will not be happy, but haven't tried. Also, though nobody specifically asked, running CS2 in Parallels is WAY, WAY faster than running CS in Rosetta in Mac OSX.