Step by Step "Sharing" XP & OSX 10.4.5 Beta 2

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by NoBackUp, Apr 8, 2006.

1. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit poster

Sorted !

Ok Prepare

Lets make sure that OSX likes to Share

Assumption Ur account name in PVM = OSX (Example "Mac_Joe")

1) System Preferences -> Sharing ======>> Make sure "Windows Sharing" is enabled
    2) System Preferences -> Sharing -> Windows Sharing -> Accounts ======>> Make sure that "Mac_Joe" is enabled
    3) Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Directory Access -> SMB/CSIF -> Configure ======>> Make sure that Workgroup is entered and is the same as in PVM (Example "Mac_Net")
    4) Go Get SharePoints (Shareware) via http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/
    5) Install from the DiskImg
    6) Launch the SharePoints ".app" (NOT the "SharePoints.prefPane" G4/5 only...)
    7) Now create a new share lets call in "Winfiles"
    8) Select the Directory you want to share , for example "/Volumes/HDData/WinFiles"
    9) Select "Windows (SMB) Sharing:" as "Shared (+)
    10) Now hit the button "Show File System Properties"
    11) Make Sure "Inherit permissions from parent" & "Allow Windows Guests" are both "checked"
    12) Now hit that big old "update share" button

So over in your PVM you should now be able to SEE the directory ("WinFiles") as a share (Browse the entire network & select the OSX Box)

You might have to fiddle with your PVM network settings

I have mine set to

OSX uses 100BaseT Wired
    PVM is set to use "en1"
    "WiFi adapter"
    "Enabled"
    "Connect cable at startup"
    "Bridged Ethernet"

So you should be aware that 11) 12) above Open the box wide open to all, but to get it up and working this is what i used..(you can fiddle with them to get a secure access only !)

I can now use my "Shared Network Folder" as the "hard drive" where i put all my work and Office apps etc..

have fun :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  2. Hellrider

Hellrider Junior Member

Whats about if I don't have my AirPort activated because I have only a wired router without wireless suppot.

Cheers
    Frank

3. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit poster

I just tried it here and it works even if there is no connection...so I just gave it a fixed address...:)