Memory Problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jsimp3, Aug 13, 2006.

1. jsimp3

jsimp3 Bit poster

I have installed Parallesls and it seems to be running fine. I have installed several programs succesfully including the office suite.

This is my problem, when I try to install Adobe CS2 I kept getting an error message saying that the memory requirement was 384megs of ram installed. I have a MBpro with 2 gigs installed. I did speak to a customer support rep at apple and he was able to lead me througha process that showed that Windows was only recognizing 286 megs.

How do I get the Windows to recognize more memory? Do I need to install Bootcamp? I was told that because of the fact that with Bootcamp you had to log off and re-boot in windows that I might not have that problem.

Does anyone know if I can solve this problem using only Parallels? Thanks in advance

jsimp3

2. namery

namery Member

"Do I need to install Bootcamp?"
    No, Bootcamp is a completely different program. While it can work side by side with Parallels, they are just different ways of doing roughly the same thing. They do not share drivers, files, XP installations or anything.

To get parallels to give give the Windows Virtual machine (VM) more memory:

First, run Parallels. Go to Parallels preferences (from the Paralles menu, top left) and select the 'Memory' tab. Here you can set how much of your 2GB of RAM that parallels is allowed to take. I set mine at around 768 MB (I too have 2GB of RAM). Click OK.

Now in the VM resources section of the main Parallels window, click on the underlined word, 'Memory'. Here you can set how much memory parallels is allowed to give this particular Virtual machine, so you want to set it too at least 384 Meg to run CS2. Click OK and start the VM, you should be ok.
    You can right click on 'My computer' in windows and select ptoperties to tell you how much memory windows has got.

3. jsimp3

jsimp3 Bit poster

Everything worked as you laid it out. I did however hit a brick wall when a pop-up said I needed more room to install all of CS2. I was only able to install Illustrator and InDesign, I would like to include Photoshop. any suggestions.

Thanks for the help
    jsimp3 (Joe)

4. ksigit

ksigit Junior Member

Why don't you try to assign, say, 512 MB or even 768 MB for XP? Don't be too cheap with RAM :p, you have 2 GB for Christ sake!

5. jsimp3

jsimp3 Bit poster

Thanks for your help ksigit. I have problems with the memory thing, megs, gigs etc. I wasn't sure what was to much to allow.

jsimp3

6. FileMan

FileMan Bit poster

Thanks for your help on the VM and Parallels memory setup. I'm running a MacBookPro with 1GB of ram, and even with only 512MB set in Parallels prefs, and 412 set for my XP VM, when I toggle between XP and the Mac (certain apps like Address Book I need to access), the Mac is especially slow to open (19 seconds to launch Address Book with XP open; 2 to 3 seconds otherwise). Any advice on this

7. joem

joem Forum Maven

Add a gig of RAM.

8. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Joem is correct - it will definetly help. But if you don't use very RAM intensive applications you can set to VM 300M - it will significantly improves your Mac OS X performance.