Questions Before Trying Software

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by LynnQ, Aug 13, 2006.

1. LynnQ

LynnQ Member

Hi there,

This may be on the overcautious side, but I am still contemplating trying out the Parallels software for Mac. However, being a new iMac Dual Core owner I do not wish to mess up my system. I switched to Mac after many years with Windows, and still have two Windows (ME and XP Pro) computers that I use. I own two copies of XP, both of which are pre-SP1, but I have the SP2 upgrade disk. This therefore rules out using BootCamp as an option.

First. Using XP Home or XP Pro.

I read that there are difficulties registering XP Home (OEM version still in package). One resolution was to possibly pick the phone option first? The OEM version came with my computer, but I already owned XP Pro which I had purchased separately. Therefore, when re-format time came around I put the XP Pro on instead of Home. As this computer could do with another reformat (long story) I could put the XP Home back on it.

What would the preference be for Parallels on iMac? ARe there any benefits or problems with using either Home or XP?

Second. USB Connections

I have HP products for printers and scanners. My HP DeskJet 5650 printer has both USB and parallel/serial connectors. I currently use USB for this. Would Parallels recognise this printer with the USB connection? In addition, I have a separate (USB only) HP ScanJet 3970 scanner attached. Any likely problems here? Will I still be able to scan in documents and print them off if both printer and scanner are USB? If not, what should I do to allow this to continue?

Third. Internet Connection

I use a satellite modem to connect. Currently I can use both iMac and Windows computers to connect through my NetGear router. The satellite modem receives the signal, an ethernet cable runs from this to the Router. Then another ethernet cables goes from the router to the iMac. A third ethernet cable then goes from the router to the Windows computer. I am assuming the Bridged Ethernet would be best, but what are your opinions? Both computers still need to access the internet.

Fourth. Parallels with XP and Windows Software Updates

Regardless of which XP I install, are there known issues with using Microsoft Update to allow for updating the XP software within Parallels? Can I assume also that when I install my XP software I can then install my SP2 disk to update that software before going to the Microsoft Update site to continue the updating process?

Fifth. Installing Other Software on XP

I saw a post that indicates that you should copy your MS Office 2003 CD to allow it to install on XP under Parallels. (Allowed as it is for personal use.). Are there any programs which this would apply to? I am thinking of my Corel packages in particular. All my software is on CD. In addition, will I still be able to install and run my MSN Explorer under Parallels? There are other users here who would require this.

From what I've been reading the Parallels software would seem to be my perfect solution to allow me to continue using my MS software but now on my iMac. As I've had no problems with this iMac yet I don't want to create any if I can help it.

Your opinions are much appreciated. If I can prevent any problems from arising then that is beneficial. I haven't downloaded the software yet for this reason.

Thank you in advance.

2. namery

namery Member

Firstly
    "I own two copies of XP, both of which are pre-SP1, but I have the SP2 upgrade disk. This therefore rules out using BootCamp as an option"
    Not true, you can slip stream SP2 onto SP1 and burn an integrated XP SP2 CD to use Bootcamp. goto www.winsupersite.com/showcase/ windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp for a step by step guide.

XP Home / Pro makes no difference to parallels, but I appreciate there may be issues with oem versions. Some people say they have had no problems with OEM, others say they cannot register it. Searching the forum (I believe there was a recent post on the topic here http://forum.parallels.com/thread3608.html) may be best here.

I don't know about individual scanners, but I run an HP Scanjet 3400c scanner through Parallels and it is fine. You do have to tell it to connect a particular USB device sometimes though. As for printing, it may work through USB it may not, however if not you can treat it as a "network" printer and use the excellent Bonjour for Windows, available free from apple to allow printing over a "network" between "windows" and mac OSX. See this thread http://forum.parallels.com/thread2549.html

Internet connection. to use a cliche, it just works. As long as the Mac has internet by whatever means, in my experience Parallels has it too via its Parallels Host Guest Adaptor.

Software updates: just the same as a normal XP computer. Installing your Service pack 2 from the CD should be fine, I simply updated with Windows update with no problems

I wasn't aware of the copying MS Office 2003 to make it work issue. Mine worked fine first time, perhaps the guy's CD was damaged. I have been able to install any software I need, though i haven't tried corel i see no reason why it shouldn't work. MSN explorer is fine under Parallels.

3. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

I'd choose XP Pro for two reasons, 1) it has a more comprehensive toolset especially for networking which is key in Parallels, 2) most of the issues and solutions presented here will be for Pro and while Home should work, it is easier to diagnose like scenarios when trying something new.

Probably not an issue as most basic devices will work. However, one has to question why try to do any scanning in Windows when OSX can see the files simultaneosly and scan itself? As for printing, I've not run into any problems using HP devices however most of the time I am using them over a network connection.

Because you are going through a router, the XP side and the OSX side will each obtain two separate IP addresses from the router and will operate independently.

My installation (XP Pro, 2000) updates just fine. I know of no known issues.

Some users have reported some issues with Office under windows. Again the obvious question is why run Office? It's prone to problems, viruses, etc., and probably that's one of the reasons why you bought a Mac in the first place. You can always run the Mac versions of office (gag), but Excel asside, the Mac suite is pretty much superior to Office 2003 and cheaper IMO ;) . The bottom line is that I run all sorts of uncommon development software under the XP side and have not run into any software issues thus far (knock on wood). I'm sure that any relatively main stream commercial software you have will run just fine.

4. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I agree with all of MicroDev.

I do not have any experience using USB or other devices in Parallels. I want it purely for software development so as long as it runs my compiler and my compiled apps I'm happy.

This may change as I someday might want to have a USB cell phone that it sees. But I'm patient on the USB stuff.

Several benefits to Parallels. Windows in general is prone to getting really messed up with viruses and even just software installs that go ary.

Since Parallels uses a disk file you can backup your entire Windows environment in a matter of moments. I have an external USB/Firewire disk. Before I install ANYTHING new in Win XP under Parallels, I simply copy the entire WinXP folder from /user/<myuser>/Library/Parallels to the firewire disk.

I then install away. If something doesn't work I can copy my backup back in place and it is like going back in time.

I actually backup my WinXP environment about once a week in this same fashion and keep two of them around on different disks. Never had a problem with WinXP since.

Another nice thing is I bought a second copy of Parallels that I run on a home based MacMini. I just copy my WinXP environment from my MBP over to the MacMini and I'm running EXACTLY what I shutdown at work. No loss of anything.

The second primary reason is if you try Parallels and don't like it, removing Windows is a simple matter of uninstalling Parallels and deleting the Parallels folder within your library. It's that simple.

So in general the rule of thumb right now with Parallels is most if not all software works fine. Hardware is a different story. There are people still waiting for USB phones, memsticks, GPSes and other devices to finally work.

It is definitely NOT an environment for high speed/high power graphics. If you intend to play Doom on it I would not recommend it. Go and get a Windows PC for that. But if you want to have OS X available full time and have Windows XP in a Window... You can't beat it.

The price is also right!

M