Garmin GPS USB Support

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by xray, May 2, 2006.

1. xray

xray Junior Member

Would love to see this. I know the new Garmin GPS USB protocols can be dicey.

Otherwise, all is well.

Thanks for a seemingly fantastic product.

X

2. ChrisF

ChrisF Bit poster

I'll second that request.

3. yannis

yannis Bit poster

this request has my vote too.

4. gketell

gketell Bit poster

Garmin USB seems to work just fine for me

I just installed the garmin software that came with my new GPSMAP396 and I was able to transfer files to/from the gps and running garmin mapsource 6.11.1 under Parallels Released version (build 1848) running winxp pro. I also updated the GPS software to version 3.2. But then, I had to use the USB to do that upgrade so I don't think it mattered.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  5. loa

loa Bit poster

doesn't seem to work with the garmin forerunner 305 :(

6. wilbanja

wilbanja Bit poster

Garmin 305 Support

I also am unable to use the Garmin 305. For me, this is the highest priority.

Thanks!

7. conalho

conalho Member

Garmin Forerunner 205

Anyone find out how to connect the Garmin Forerunner 205 to Parallels? Every time it boots up, it says another process is using the USB device and I can't figure it out!

8. fredcast

fredcast Member

The Garmin Edge GPS units do not currently work with Parallels.

However, according to a post HERE, the Parallels team is working on a product update to be available soon. Here is what they said:

Let's hope this means that the Garmin products will start working soon!

------------------------------------------
    David
    The FredCast Cycling Podcast
    http://www.thefredcast.com

9. daviesap

daviesap Bit poster

Just tried my Garmin Forerunner 205 with Parallels Beta released today (8th August) and I'm afraid I still can't get it to work. Message says that the USB device is in use by another process.

Shame.

Andrew

10. conalho

conalho Member

Daviesap is correct. Parallels in the latest beta version still does not work with the Garmin Forerunner 205.

11. fredcast

fredcast Member

Oh man, this stinks!

12. avramd

avramd Bit poster

Garmin eTrex Legend CX working

Hello,

For anyone who cares, I did not have any trouble at all getting my eTrex Legend Cx to work with Parallels build 1848. This is a USB-only device. What I did was use a Windows laptop to upgrade the firmware on the device to the latest, then install the Trip & Waypoint manager s/w & USB drivers into the parallels VM, then upgrade the drivers to the latest. Everything just worked, no issues.

-Avram

13. bobodobo

bobodobo Member

No joy for me on a eTrex Vista C doing the same thing. The latest version of the drivers is 2.1 (August 26, 2004) for both Vista C and Legend Cx units. Also I have the latest version of the unit software (2.6 in my case, dated April 26, 2006) which is not quite as new as the latest version for the Legend Cx (June 8, 2006). Could that be the difference?

14. xray

xray Junior Member

At this rate, Garmin will be releasing their Mac version of Training Center and full USB support before Parallels does. They've promised by year end...

C'mon Parallels, there's plenty of us out here who NEED your product to work with USB Garmins. Give it a few minutes of your time! From what I've seen with your product so far, this should be a no-brainer.

Thanks!

15. bobodobo

bobodobo Member

Agreed. How hard can this USB problem be compared to the multitude of others the Parallels team must have faced to get a virtual operating system running? But don't count on native Mac support from Garmin any time soon. Their latest press release says that only that one product, Training Center, will be ready by year's end, and at year's end they will tell us when they MIGHT have native Mac versions of their apps that everyone needs (MapSource, nRoute). Thanks a million, Garmin! (Not that we have other viable options...)

16. fredcast

fredcast Member

2.2 Beta?

So . . . . has anyone got this to work under 2.2 beta yet?

17. fredcast

fredcast Member

So . . . . Has anyone got their Garmin units to work with the newest Release Candidate yet?

18. UnoriginalNick

UnoriginalNick Bit poster

I'm having no luck with a Garmin GPS60 and the latest release candidate. I'm using the trial code now and will buy a full version if I can get the GPS working, but that's the only reason I really want Paralells. It would be nice to hear something from the developers about whether or not a solution is fourthcoming.

19. ghbrett

ghbrett Bit poster

I have had no problem. I loaded Garmin software and attached my 60csx via USB cable and have been uploading and downloading maps, routes, waypoints, etc. I've gone thru a couple versions of Parallels so far so good.

My hassle was I made the bloody virtual disk too small for all the data on the City Navigator disk and now can not get it to grow the virtual disk size. But, I guess that's another thread.

20. UnoriginalNick

UnoriginalNick Bit poster

Just to be doubly sure, I updated the firmware in my GPS to the latest version but still no luck. I can get it to show up in the device manager but neither the Garmin software nor my mapping software can find it. It works fine on my PC though.