Solaris 10 And Additional HD's

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by IscariotJ, Jul 11, 2006.

1. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

I've noticed that there a couple of threads from people having issues adding additional drives to a Solaris 10 install ( aside from the limit of of 2 extra drives, something to do with them being IDE ), but there doesn't seem to be any follow-up on them. I've also run into this problem on a 6/06 install ( 2Ghz MacBook, 2GB RAM, btw ).

I've tried adding the additional drives before perfoming the install ( which hangs after it fails writing the VTOC to the first additional drive ), and also adding them to a working Solaris instance ( yes, I've reconfigured, etc ). Running format takes an age to list the disks ( all the while reporting drive errors to /var/adm/messages ). Interestingly, fdisk claims it cannot open the raw device, even though it exists.

I'm wondering if this is limited to Parallels Desktop, as dd-b has managed to install an extra 2 drives using Parallels Workstation. At some point, I'll confirm this on my Win32 copy of PW.

Anyone any ideas? Parallels guys?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  2. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Any Parallels guys out there to confirm this is an issue with PD?

3. sjferris

sjferris Junior Member

I have the same problem, no reply from Parallels

Hi,

I've exactly the same problem. I've opened a support case, but I've not heard anything.

I would really like this to work so I hope they find a fix.

regards
    Steve

4. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

I've also sent them a support email, as it looks like they've stopped giving assistance via the forum. Pity really.

5. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Is there any one from Parallels on this forum, anymore?

6. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Frankly, I'm incredibly disappointed from the lack of response from Parallels. They no longer seem to be active on this forum, and don't even respond to support emails ( though I notice the official blog is frequently updated, so someone is alive in Parallels ). I know from searching other threads, this issue isn't isolated to just me, so I don't think it unreasonable to expect a comment from Parallels, even if it's just to say that they will investigate.

I'm beginning to regret purchasing copies of PW ( which still hasn't been updated despite assurances that it would be, following the GA of PD ) and PD. Unfortunately, necessity forced me to buy PD. Had I known the support would deteriorate to non-existance, I would have waited for VMware to release their Mac products ( rumoured to start with WorkStation 6, and expected to be announced at WMworld ).

Sorry, Parallels, a ( mostly ) great product let down by lack of support.

7. sjferris

sjferris Junior Member

The way I see it is Parallels need to get this working before VMWare release for OS X. If the problems are still there then people will switch to VMWare in droves.

Also it could be that Solaris is a small community of users and Parallels don't have the resources and time to fix this low priority issues.

At the moment I can work around the problems, but without multiple disks and suspend support I will switch to VMWare.

8. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

For the time being, I am having to do any work with Solaris and multiple drives on a Win32 machine with VMware Server ( which supports more than 2 additional drives, btw ), which sorta defeats the object of having PD. I'm even considering BootCamp/VMWare Server as the way forward *shudders at XP on a Mac*

WorkStation's price tag might put off the majority of PD users, but I think there's a big enough proportion that would switch for it to hurt Prallels. For their sake, I hope VMware don't release VMware Server, that would be more than the company could take.

9. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Please, be patient. Update for Paralles Desctop will be available soon and Solaris 10 works there fine. Check for the screenshot in attach.

Attached Files:

10. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Now this is more like it, two Parallels postings in a matter of days :)

Thank you. Can't wait for the update. Will there be one for PW, too?

11. Ynot

Ynot Pro

I hope we will have updates for both Parallels Desktop and Parallels Workstation soon.

12. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Thank you, much appreciated.

13. sjferris

sjferris Junior Member

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to it.

Roll on ZFS.

14. sjferris

sjferris Junior Member

I would just like to say that the beta is working fine with additional disks. All well.

Thanks guys
    Steve

15. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Yup, same here. As I posted via the feedback, I've also noticed that mouse movements in Java Desktop seem to be much smoother ( as do the fonts, oddly? ).

16. furfurfur

furfurfur Member

Hi All

Seems like lots of people are having success with Solaris - this is great! However mine still doesn't work. I have installed it twice on Parallels, both with PD 1.0 and most of the time it won't boot - just hands at the banner screen when it loads the kernel.

I am now using Beta update 1 and it still doesn't work, although I haven't reinstalled on this update yet. Worth a go?

Also - the version of Solaris I'm using seems to be SOL_10_106_X86 - am assuming this just means it's the 06/06 release? Can someone please confirm which they are running OK?

Thanks
    James

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  17. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Hi, the version you are running is 1/06. Most of the posters here are using 6/06. Downloading 6/06 is definately worth it for the features that it beings ( ZFS, very cool ). Since upgrading to the latest beta, I've had no issues booting the VM ( I used to have to boot it, once it had hung, press the restart icon and it would boot OK ). I've got the memory setting at 512mb ( I'm using Java Desktop ).

HTH.