Graphics speed using Parallels Beta update

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by TDI, Aug 16, 2006.

1. TDI

TDI Member

I have recently installed the Beta update of Parallels Virtual Desktop on my 2GHz iMac. Windows XP still works fine, with no problems noted.

However, I thought that the graphics performance was supposed to have been improved ? Dragging a window around the Win XP desktop seems just as sluggish as it was before. Am I missing something ?

2. bmuyl

bmuyl Member

I experience some object size pbs in unigraphics NX4..anything related to graphic driver ?

3. TDI

TDI Member

Don't think so, the iMac has a pretty fast card, and Windows graphics was fast using Boot Camp.

4. majortom

majortom Member

I believe there's something wrong because moving filled windows into XP's desktop is almost as smooth as moving them in BootCamp. I assume you have inatalled the Parallels Tools... and that the video card Hardware Acceleration is seto to Fastest...

5. TDI

TDI Member

I reinstalled the Parallels tools, but it made no difference. Dragging a window around is still slow.

There is no option to set video card acceleration anywhere - either within Parallels, or OS X ?

6. majortom

majortom Member

WindowsXP->right click on the desktop and get the Screen Properties. In the Advanced tab you should have a tab (Mine is not English then I can't hel you in a better way) for setting the hardware acceleration. But I don't thimk the problem is there,
    Have you set a correct amount of memory to Parallels in the preferences? How much memory have you got in your Mac?

7. TDI

TDI Member

Yes, Win XP acceleration is set to maximum.

Mac has 2GB of RAM, and 1GB is allocated to Parallels. The graphics card is the standard one supplied with the 20" iMac (128MB video memory, I think)

8. majortom

majortom Member

Just a test: allocate 384 Mbytes to WinXP and 512 to Parallels. Let me know.

9. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Agree with majortom .. that would be my guess as well.

10. majortom

majortom Member

TDI, are you dead, sick, in holiday or still dancing for the solution of your problem?
    :D

11. TDI

TDI Member

No significant difference. Window dragging is still like treacle, just like it was originally

12. majortom

majortom Member

Can you post more infos on the system? Are there particular OS X applications running? Did you install the beta over the RC or did you first de-install RC?

13. iko82

iko82 Bit poster

me too have the same problem :(
    I have a 17" macbook pro with 1gb of ram and 600 allocated to parallels...
    Under control panel i have two items unrecognized:

• Other PCI bridge card
    • Video Controller VGA

i hope it's normal.....

Bye
    Fred

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  14. iko82

iko82 Bit poster

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ehhmm sory.. i forgot the installation of VM tools...
    Now it's better also if it's not optimal...

bye
    Fred

15. pcany

pcany Bit poster

graphic card driver for xp installed

It costs me some time to find out: my mouse hangs periodically every 3 seconds or so, and when I looked at the System-Properties of the enhanced graphic, there was only unrecognized Graphic card. I tried to install driver from bootcamp , but ... What I've missed: to install the ParallelsToolsCenter. It's not very intuitive, but just simply follow these steps:

after having instlled a virtual machine, boot in mac os x, start parallels, go to the mac os x menu on the top (named 'Parallel Desktop') -> Actions -> Install Parallel Tools.

Now graphic card is recognized, and mouse donot hang anymore :)