iSight support now that BootCamp has it?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rteichman, Aug 16, 2006.

1. rteichman

rteichman Junior Member

I see that the new BootCamp has support for iSight. I suppose there are now iSight drivers for windows. Does this mean we can get iSight support in Parallels?

2. xserve

xserve Junior Member

in theory, we can.

but the built-in iSight (iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro) requires USB 2.0.
    the current version of Parallels Desktop can only emulate USB 1.1

3. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

So what we all need to ask Parallels for is top of the top perfect USB 2.0 support in the VMs and not specifically support for this or that device. Good news. Simplify the deal for users. Not sure it will make things easy on Parallels. Honestly I much prefer them to work on 3D graphics and SMP support than any WebCam support.

4. xserve

xserve Junior Member

Boot Camp 1.1 also updates built-in iSight to Version 1.82

Just found out that

Apple also includes an update to the OS X iSight driver with BootCamp 1.1

A deeper look into "Install Boot Camp Assistant.mpkg" package content, you'll see a "iSightDriver.pkg" file inside. Look inside "iSightDriver.pkg" and u'll see a "Archive.pax.gz". If you extract this file, you'll see "IOUSBFamily.kext" and "QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer.component".

note: this iSightDriver.pkg is a iSight driver for OS X, not Windows.

System Profiler reports:
    before Boot Camp 1.1: Built-in iSight Version 1.55
    after Boot Camp 1.1: Built-in iSight Version 1.82

So, this mean Boot Camp 1.1 updates the iSight's firmware to version 1.82 in order to bring support for the Windows iSight driver.

After the iSight Version 1.82 update, Parallel Desktop is not able to identify the built-in iSight anymore. so, the iSight driver for Windows won't install and it will become an "Unknown Device" with this error:

USB Device Not Recognized
    One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

note: before you install Boot Camp 1.1, you'll be able to install the iSight Driver for Windows. but you won't have enough power to start the iSight (due to USB 1.1).

-
    Lok

5. tofergregg

tofergregg Bit poster

Nice detective work. I wondered why Parallels was able to see the iSight before the bootcamp upgrade but not after. I guess we might be waiting for two things now: another iSight firmware update and USB 2.0 support in Parallels. Cheers.

-Chris

6. BearPig

BearPig Bit poster

The (internal USB) iSight driver for Windows can be downloaded here:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/29594322/...p_1.1.zip.html

But as xserve says, it apparently won't work till USB2 is supported by Parallels.

7. mkummer

mkummer Member

Thank you for this message! It has nothing to do with this forum, but now I know, why I have problems with iGlasses und ChatFX.

8. [idkfa]

[idkfa] Bit poster

I did not install BootCamp 1.1, just extracted it and burned the iso. My iSight is still at version 1.55 and works in XP (though I did not try using Parallels).