Network port speed under VM is 10mb?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by FuturShoc, Aug 16, 2006.

1. FuturShoc

FuturShoc Bit poster

For some reason, my VM will only connect to my company network as 10mb.
    However, I connect at 100mb, if I'm in XP via Boot Camp.

Can someone recommend a solution? Or at least a reason?

2. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

How do you know the speed? Did you measure it?

Any network-card speed reporting done by Windows (in the control panel, it says how fast it's connected) is bogus. It reports that it is connected at 10mbs to my wifi also...

I would measure the speed on my end, but I'm sure the VM can saturate my wifi.

3. FuturShoc

FuturShoc Bit poster

Yeah, the XP Control Panel is where I'm seeing "10 mbps".
    But, to be honest, I didn't exactly do any hands-on testing. I was just trusting what it says.
    Silly me. :rolleyes: lol

Thanks!

4. ptruskier

ptruskier Junior Member

FWIW, my network adapter "Status" in XP reports 100 mbps, not 10.

5. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

I'm sorry but im going to have to disagree with this. this reports the network connection not actual thru-put. so if it says 10meg then you have a router that is not set to autosense or it is not a 100meg router.

as for wireless this is also due to your route not setup to handle G it could come defaulted to B

But this over my years of setting up windows for customers this has told me where to look for network issues.

6. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

I wrote up a big long rant, then remembered a little anicdote about arguing on the internet being like the special olympics :p

This is not a throughput problem, this is simply the virtual hardware network card (which is actually software) reporting the speed wrong to the OS. I've seen real drivers on real hardware for both Linux and Windows do the same thing.

Also, the point of my mentioning wifi is that 10mbs on wifi is not possible, as that is not a valid speed choice for that medium.

On 802.11b, the possible choices for data rate are:

* 11 Mbps
    * 5.5 Mbps
    * 2 Mbps
    * 1 Mbps

Similarly, the possible data rates for 802.11g devices are:

* 54 Mbps
    * 48 Mbps
    * 36 Mbps
    * 24 Mbps
    * 18 Mbps
    * 12 Mbps
    * 9 Mbps
    * 6 Mbps

If you see 10mbs on wifi, then its a buggy driver as the hardware will never select that speed.

I just speed tested, and my VM is saturating my 54Mbs 802.11G network, even though windows is reporting 10Mbs. :)

7. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Sorry, Wasn't trying to start an argument,

Yes i knew the part of the wifi value, all i can say is oops.

My main point is that value that WinXp reports as speed is pretty reliable and I think that if it is not reporting the correct, i dont think it should be chocked up to oh that's another windows blunder.

8. murphy

murphy Member

If you haven't installed Parallels Tools, XP will report 10.
    If you install Parallels Tools XP, XP will report 100.