Strange Resizing

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ejon123, Aug 15, 2006.

1. ejon123

ejon123 Bit poster

Strange Screen Resizing (oversized screen)

Last night I resized the partition for Parallels. I went from 8 gig to 20 gig. Worked like a charm. But, today, I've run across a strange occurance. When I start up Parallels, a small window opens (as normal, and as it did up through yesterday). Then Windows XP starts. Just as XP finishes booting, the screen enlarges to completely fill my screen. So much so, that I can't see the Start menu. If I go to FULL SCREEN, I can then see the Start menu.

I've tried chaning the resolution of XP, but that doesn't do the trick. I find it odd that it suddenly happened. The only thing different was changing the partition size.

When I the Control+Option when in Full Screen, it goes to the full screen without the Start menu. I would really like it to go back to the smaller window so that I can see both Windows and Mac at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Jon

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  2. gregr209

gregr209 Bit poster

Same issue

I have the exact same problem. When not in full screen mode my windows screen falls below the docking bar and I can't get to the startup menu. I liked the old window that fit on my screen.

Any help from anyone on how to fix this would be great.

Thanks!

Greg

3. coon2000

coon2000 Bit poster

Same issue here

I am having this same issue. It just started two days ago. Makes using my guest os difficult if it is not in full screen mode as I can not get to the start button. Please let me know what the solution to this is.

4. ejon123

ejon123 Bit poster

Screen Size

You can go to "full screen" to be able to see the Start Menu. BUT, that doesn't fix the issue of being able to work with Parallels running as a smaller screen on the Mac Desktop. I'm hoping that someone with a solution will read this thread.
    Jon

5. dfilippi

dfilippi Bit poster

Same issue here, too. It was kicked off by a power outage while I was working in fullscreen mode.

Changing the Parallels app's prefs about allowing it to change resolutions did nothing. Changing the display resolution in Windows XP full-screen mode didn't help, as Parallels would resize the window to 1280x1024 immediately upon reentering windowed mode (exiting fullscreen mode).

What worked was to change the Windows XP display resolution in windowed mode. The trick is that the start button is off the bottom of the screen when the window is too large, making it impossible to open the Display control panel that way.

The workaround is to right-click on the desktop background and click "Properties." This is an alternate way of bringing up the Windows XP Display control panel. Go to "settings" and change the resolution to 800x600. Parallels will then "remember" that this is your preferred resolution for windowed mode.

This was annoying, because it's basically a 'hidden pref'. I consider it a bug; the hidden pref should be made explicit somewhere in the Parallels preferences menus.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  6. gregr209

gregr209 Bit poster

Sweet!

Thanks dfilippi! It works like a charm.

Greg

7. scotymac

scotymac Junior Member

Appreciate the workaround dfilippi, for those that are on the road with no external mouse, use Shift F10 to bring up the properties window.

8. plucas

plucas Bit poster

Parallels is not remembering the 800x600 resolution when in the virtual mode. I tried what you mentioned but it did not work for me. Any other suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

plucas

9. dfilippi

dfilippi Bit poster

You do have to have the Parallels Tools installed, make sure they're installed and working!

10. BlDamage

BlDamage Bit poster

Windows Automatic

Also beware after you resize in windows that you don't accidentally click on one of those warnings asking to adjust your screen size for you. I believe this is what caused my troubles in the first place.