Has anyone successfully install Fedora Core 5?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by vazexqi, Apr 6, 2006.

1. vazexqi

vazexqi Bit poster

The list (http://www.parallels.com/en/products/guest_os/) of supported guest OS does not list Fedora Core 5 as being officially supported but there have been some threads where users have installed Fedora Core 5 on the Windows version of Parallels (http://forum.parallels.com/thread27.html).

I tried configuring my MacBook Pro (2 GHz,2 GB) with a 8 GB, 768 MB setup for the OS type of "Other Linux" and managed to finish the installation of Fedora Core 5. However, the post installation fails and here is the screen shot of the console (http://homepage.mac.com/vazexqi/images/dump.png). I suspect that it is not detecting the graphics driver but I cannot verify this.

With the same guest OS configurations, I managed to get Fedora Core 4 up and running with network support. And everything seems to be working fine as far as I can tell. It runs as fast as it does using VMWare on my Windows machine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. daveschroeder

daveschroeder Member

Yes, I have a full installation of Fedora Core 5 installed an running. I did nothing special. I used the Fedora Core 5 DVD ISO image to install.

3. anshar

anshar Member

Use "Other Linux 2.6" guest OS type in VM configuration instead of "Fedora Core" OS type.

4. vazexqi

vazexqi Bit poster

I tried reinstalling it again with Linux 2.6 selected as the OS Type. (I have tried this before as well and it does not work).

When anaconda launches, it is not able to detect the type of video card I think. On the other hand, when installing Fedora Core 4, it says that the video card is VESA 3.0.

When starting up the image after the installation I get this:

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, botting the kernel.
    ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP

and then all the kernel calls.

Could anyone who have succesfully installed this tell me their exact configurations for the guest OS?

I have it set as 8192 MB (disk format, plain so that it is not expending). And it has 768 MB of RAM with Network Adapter enabled. Again, I am trying to install this on a MacBook. Do I need to upgrade my firmware? I know that one is available and is necessary if you want to install Boot Camp, but do I need that for Parallels?

Thanks for the help.

5. anshar

anshar Member

Try to use default guest configuration - 256M. At list during installation. I suspect that FC5 distro could take some different execution path with 768M...

6. jibberia

jibberia Bit poster

I have FC5 working - it's pretty much default. I haven't gotten networking to work yet but I haven't really tried.

The installation went very smoothly - no worries!

7. vazexqi

vazexqi Bit poster

Thank you for the responds.

So I tried everything again, this time using an expanding hard disk (max 10 GB) and with 256 MB of RAM. Everything installed fine and it works fine now after the restart. Even networking with airport is working. :)

Now that everything is working, I tried bumping up the memory to 512 MB for the sake of trying and it still works. Tried 768 MB and it gives the same errors. 700 MB gives errors as well. 600 MB gives errors as well. 516 MB works though. I did not try other amounts but there seems to be a limit to how much RAM you can allocate to Fedora Core 5.

This is an interesting problem since Fedora Core 4 does not seem to exhibit it.

8. Marc

Marc Bit poster

Installation of Fedora Core 5 was no problem. But I just can't get the network working. How did you get this working?

9. daveschroeder

daveschroeder Member

Networking works fine...but there are some networking limitations in the Parallels beta (e.g., no networking in some wireless configurations). Remember, this is a beta.

10. Marc

Marc Bit poster

So I have installed beta 2, reinstalled Fedora Core 5, tested it with en1, wifi checked and unchecked, used 10.0.1.1 and 192.168.1.1 addressing, firewalls enabled and disabled, made sure that the vm MAC address is entered in the Access Control list (AirPor). I still don't have a network connection:-((

locahost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 prot 67 interval 6
    locahost dhclient: no DHCPOFFERS received.

I have a closed network with WPA2 Personal security enabled.

11. vazexqi

vazexqi Bit poster

Marc

Are you trying to get it to work with wired or wireless networking?

For wired, I have this in the lin26.pvs file (it's just a text file)

[Network]
    Network enabled=1
    Network=1
    Network connected=1
    Adapter No=0
    Adapter type=4
    WiFi=1
    IRQ=3
    MAC address= <some number that is not relevant here>

After installing Beta 2 I have not tried the wireless networking yet. But in Beta 1, I was able to connect to a network requiring WPA Enterprise authentication.

12. simon

simon Member

Ubuntu worked.

I installed Ubuntu last night. It worked fine, pretty quick too !
    The only issue was that DHCP did not grab an address and I had to manually configure a static IP address.

Other than that it works great, did I mention how quick it is ?

Fast too.

13. leimy2k

leimy2k Bit poster

14. Marc

Marc Bit poster

So I have installed beta 3. dhcp still does not work. At least I got wireless networking finally working by entering manually the values. Hopefully, dhcp works properly with the final version. Now, I can start testing clustering (nothing fancy, just some active/passive failover stuff with heartbeat, samba, nfs).

15. jsolderitsch

jsolderitsch Member

I complained in another thread that I was not getting DNS working for Fedora Core 4.

I since downloaded the Fedora Core 5 DVD iso, upgraded to PW beta 3 and installed Fedora Core 5 from the DVD iso image.

At first it seemed I still did not have DNS, but I checked what the DNS address was that my dhcp server was set up to provide and it was WRONG! I had manually changed it to reflect a change from my provider (Verizon DSL) but I mistyped the IP address. Talk about operator error!

Once I got the right DNS address, dhcp worked fine -- my VM was assigned an address, the right DNS was seen in the DNS tab of the network panel in Fedora and I was then able to browse using Firefox.

So I am a happy linux camper at the moment.

I did set my bridging assignent in PW to my wired network port -- en0. But I suspect it should work with en1 as well (airport).

Check your DNS value in the running VM. See if you can ping it from a terminal window in the VM. Once I made the switch to the right DNS value, all started to work as expected.

Jim

16. fireball1624

fireball1624 Bit poster

ya i was getting the same error and i changed the RAM to 512 and that made it work...i dont know why 768 wont

17. apaterso

apaterso Bit poster

I have a question regarding the Fedora 5 isos. I went to the site grabbed them all, don't know if I need all FIVE discs, Now that they are sitting on my desktop what do I do with them? Burn to DVD or what. Don't have a clear path to follow to get Fedora up and running.

Help

18. HughAnderson

HughAnderson Bit poster

Linux (FC5, Knoppix, Ubuntu) networking fails, but WinXP works

Hi,

Firstly - I think Parallels Desktop is pretty neat, and does much of what I want.

However, I have noted a peculiar networking problem. I am trying to use the Airport and bridged ethernet. I have read that there may be some problems with bridged ethernet to the airport, but this is best for my situation here. What I find is that WinXP virtual machines are able to acquire a DHCP lease, and network normally.

However, I have tried three linux installations, and almost identical virtual machine settings. What I find is that NONE of these linux distributions are able to acquire a DHCP lease, and so what I have is that I can network normally with my windows machines, but not with my linux machines.
    (Normally the reverse is true!)

Any comments, or confirmations, from anyone else doing the same thing? (i.e. linux, bridged, airport)

Cheers - Hugh

19. thejiggse

thejiggse Bit poster

20. jonmills

jonmills Bit poster

I can confirm that this is my exact problem. 20" iMac Core Duo with 2gigs of RAM -- was giving 768MB to the VM. I was unable to install any Linux successfully -- tried Ubuntu 6, Fedora 5, Fedora 6 Pre. After changing RAM to 512MB, Ubuntu 6 installed right away.

When RAM was set to 768MB, I saw various odd things like ACPI errors ("Unable to locate RSDP") and Ubuntu failing to load basic hardware driver modules...