Blue Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mthomasld, Aug 14, 2006.

1. mthomasld

mthomasld Bit poster

My apologies if this has posted here before....

New MacBook Pro user (coming out of PC world) and had Parallels installed by the Store (CompUSA).. All seems to be great- still trying to get the file-sharing thing down, but not making any pathetic mistakes that should cause any issues. System has been working great for a week now.

Just getting around to installing everything that I can on both sides (Skype & Yahoo Messenger are the most recent adds on both sides) Also running AOL on both PC and Mac.

Today, I fired up Parallels for Mac and it was up and running for about 30-45 seconds and the Blue Screen of Death appeared (flew by too fast to see- something about Memory Dump, adiquate disc space, etc... It apologizes, reboots Windows, brings up the desktop, and then changes the Screen resolution from normal Icons to small Icons to Giant Icons then goes to the Blue Screen of Death- rinse and repeat... About 40 times this past hour..

Is it just because there is too much installed on the PC side, and its as simple as either deleting/ compressing folders, or am I broken?

Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.....:p

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  2. STim

STim Bit poster

Try loading into Windows Safe Mode - press the F8 key repeatedly during the very first Windows loading seconds. If it's booted successfully in safe mode, try loading into normal mode.

I've observed such behavior once for no obvious reason, and this technique helped me.

3. mthomasld

mthomasld Bit poster

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/98percentnitro/Snapshot2006-08-1507FF64.jpg

This is the screen that comes up just befor I get bounced out... F8 didn't do the trick- any other suggestions, because if its not working in the next 24 hours, away this piece of gear goes and its back to PC for me... I have to have working access to existing PC programs, and if I can't do it on the Mac (as much as I'd like to), the swap is in order...

Still seeking assistance.... Anyone

4. mthomasld

mthomasld Bit poster

Rumor has it that Windows XP is corrupted (new, out-of-the-box copy)... Could that be the issue?

5. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Did you have them add memory when you purchased the computer?

it is possible that there is a bad memory chip.

6. mthomasld

mthomasld Bit poster

Naw..still at the 1GB.. I wanted to see how it ran first before I hot-rodded it all up.. UPDATE: Comp USA says it is probably the XP software being part of a bad batch of un-documented, un-registerable software that slipped through, and that I need to have it reinstalled, causing me to lose all the current files that I have (which is alot).. I am bent up about this, as I am on the road until October and can't get my Program discs anytime soon to reload them into the fixed (and hopefully SP2 updated) XP OS... With the above note displaying, does anyone know if I can pull my VM files to a safe place before they do the Big Wipe?

7. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

I suggest this

add another harddisk under the guest VM and this will create a seperate .hdd file from the main boot file. you then will access it like D: or E: instead of C:. Then copy the files you need to save over to that Vitural HD and then you can reformat your main guest or even create a new Guest VM with new XP2 and then add in the second .hdd file and you haven't lost anything

8. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

Copy the ~/Library/Parallels/winxp/<your VM filename>.hdd file to an external drive just to be safe then follow the previous suggestions.

9. ArmyDuck

ArmyDuck Bit poster

Beta version caused blue screen

Hey, I got a blue screen of death on my Parallels version of Windows when I ran the compressor component to see how it worked. It did this to an installation of Win 2000 and Win XP...so are you running the beta?

I figure it might be a beta issue.

Hope your problem is resolved because you will love Macs and won't want to switch back once you are totally "assimilated."