Cannot install critical XP patches?????

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Robster, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Robster

Robster Hunter

Hi

I am on the beta release and am trying to install a number of critical patches that I have missed.

However everytime I run Windows update it comes back with a FAIL agaist them all?

Anyone have any clues as to what the problem could be?

Cheers.

Robin

2. Robster

Robster Hunter

Very strange.

Tried to run these updates 3 times last night at home and failed every time.

Just tried in the office this morning and worked first time!!!!!!

Microsoft.............

Robin

3. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

What was the fail message? At what point in the update does it fail? For instance, maybe it cannot get an internet connection?

Also, are you saying that SAME MACHINE failed at home, and worked at the office? That smells like a connection problem, assuming the update was not already on your machine.

4. pwith

pwith Member

Most of the most recent critical updates from MS failed to install on my dedicated VAIO PC.

Peter

5. Robster

Robster Hunter

Hi

Yes it was the same machine and no it did not have a connection problem.

I know this because it DID download and install 2 of 13 updates fine!!!!!!!

It ws at the download stage I THINK that they failed but I cannot remember for sure.

Robin

6. cwilkes

cwilkes Bit poster

Get failed updates on Win2k as well

All 11 or 13 of the updates report as failed no matter how many times I try it.

For the longest time the windows taskbar helper would report that either I need to reboot or that updates were installed after a reboot, and this happened every time. I'm not sure what is up with it.

7. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

On the Windows update site, if you don't allow them to install the 'Geniune Advantage' spyware then it will fail (did for me anyway). I allowed the first one and have been blocking any more 'advantages' since then and it seems to have fixed the problem.