Need help deleting Virtue Desktop

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ajay, Aug 17, 2006.

1. ajay

ajay Hunter

Rant deleted - Sorry guys

I want to use virtue but have what I believe to be a defective installation. I've opened a ticket at the virtue website.:)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

If you are having a problem with Virtue Desktop why are you ranting here? They have a website where you can ask this question. http://trac.virtuedesktops.info/

3. ajay

ajay Hunter

Rant deleted - Yes, I went to the website but was/am unfamiliar with "opening a ticket"

I now understand.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I suppose then you didn't open a trouble ticket and paste in your rant?

5. ajay

ajay Hunter

Comments deleted

6. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Virtue Desktops is incredibly trivial to use. What exactly is it that you're having trouble doing? Once started there is a little icon in your toolbar that kind of looks like 2 overlapping monitor screens. Click that, choose quit, then you can delete. That same menu also has all the options you need to setup and use Virtue. I've been using it for months and it's great.

7. Tony Arnold

Tony Arnold Member

As the developer of VirtueDesktops, I would certainly appreciate your comments over at my issue tracking system (the link was posted above -- http://trac.virtuedesktops.info/).*I'm sorry you found my application difficult to use and have decided to remove it.

Removing VirtueDesktops is as straightforward as quitting the application and deleting it. The next time you log out or restart, the small bundle of code that is loaded into memory will disappear and you'll not hear from it again.

8. ajay

ajay Hunter

Thanks for the information Tony. I just posted something over at your website. Hopefully I entered my information appropriately. I'm generally unfamiliar with the "ticket" approach and was actually looking for something like a user forum.

I would like to get my issue resolved and hopefully I'm on my way to doing just that.

:)

9. ajay

ajay Hunter

VTMac - I think my download is defective. I do have the icon, but that's pretty much it. When I click on it I get a preference pane. I have no way of quitting and trying to delete by dragging icon into trash doesn't work either. When I reboot, icon is still there. Something is amiss and I'm trying to find out what. I've touched bases with Tony and hopefully, he'll be able to steer me straight.

I''m wondering if virtue works with an Intel mac?

10. VTMac

VTMac Pro

I'm using a MBP, so yes, it works perfectly on Intel Macs. Good luck with your issue.

11. ajay

ajay Hunter

Is there a step by step guide for virtue? I have the icon on my desktop. When I click on it, I get a preference pane. What does it do? Maybe it's working and I just don't know how to use it. Also, there is no quit anywhere so I don't know how to stop it (if it is working). Sorry to be so much trouble, but use of virtue doesn't seem to be intuitive to me.

I'll be glad to take this discussion elsewhere if it bothers anyone.

12. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Ok. Try this. Reboot your Mac. After you login. Double click the Virtue icon. Now, look in your toolbar at the top of your screen. There should be a new Virtue Icon. It looks like 2 small overlapping rectangles. Click the icon in your TOOLBAR. (Caps because you said your clicking on your desktop.) This is where you can find the various settings and quit Virtue. In it's default configuration, after you've started it (and the toolbar icon is there) try pressing and holding CTRL+SHIFT+LEFT_ARROW. Your screen should change to a new desktop with now windows open. Now press and hold CTRL+SHIFT+RIGHT_ARROW and you should be returned to your original screen. If this doesn't happen, then something is not installed properly. Also try pressing SHIFT+TAB. You should get a list of available virtual desktop. If all this is working, then on the TOOLBAR icon, select preferences. In this dialog you can choose your transition animation. Change this to cube and exit the dialog. Now switch desktops as I just described. You should now have the rotating cube effect. On the 2nd desktop, start parallels, start Windows (or whatever) and make it full screen. Now switch back to your other screen. You should now have seemless fullscreen switches between Parallels and OSX. If you need more help, I'm going to need more info on exactly what you're seeing.

13. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

It won't do anything about your problem with the animation when switching to full screen Windows but it and Desktop Manager are pretty good at providing a nice screen switching method to get back and forth from various VM's running in a window and OS X. I prefer Desktop Manager (the universal version) as it puts the screen control in the tool bar at the top of the screen. Last I checked Virtue Desktop didn't do this.

dp

14. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I have a feeling that some people install it and flip between empty windows and don't understand what they're seeing - like an elevator door opening on consecutive floors where every lobby looks alike, it appears the elevator is stuck on one floor :)

15. Tony Arnold

Tony Arnold Member

It definitely needs documentation and some more reasonable default settings. I'm just working on trying to weed out everything that makes it unusable from a technical standpoint before I spent time making it usable for end users (you know the old saying - you can't shine poo). Thanks for helping out here guys.

16. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Virtue Desktops does this. I don't use it, as I prefer the hot keys, but there is an icon in the toolbar and first thing listed when you select it are the various virtual desktops.

17. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I meant the menu bar at the screen top, not the application tool bar. I ran it for a while and could see the potential but it's not quite at the Desktop Manager level for coolness. In fact, tho, it's been a few months and so perhaps the menu bar support is there and I should have another look.

Desktop Manager can be found here:
    http://desktopmanager.berlios.de/ and if you search you can find the universal version.

I think this is where Virtue Desktops is going but isn't quite yet (last I checked). On the other hand it seems Desktop Manager is no longer or at least not very supported as the universal version is not from the original author.

Personally I find these tools essential but I come from a Unix environment where they are the norm. I find it stunning that anyone would have trouble making it work. Both products are very simple to use.

18. ajay

ajay Hunter

Okay, I'm getting some good information here. I just rebooted and double clicked the virtue icon on my desktop. The Virtue Preferences panel pops up, as before. That's it. Rebooted and went through the process twice more to ensure consistency. No change. There is nothing different in my menu/toolbar from what has always been there. No double or overlapping rectangles. On the left side of my screen at the top I have the Finder menu/toolbar or Safari. If I Command tab I toggle between the two. On the right side are small icons for the time, speaker, airport and bluetooth. That's it.

Maybe I should try downloading an older version of Virtue? The one I'm trying has an August, 2006 version date.

I'm running out of ideas.

19. Tony Arnold

Tony Arnold Member

Ajay, if the preferences panel is popping up - ensure that "Show in the status bar" is checked. If it is, and you still can't see anything in the top-right of your screen that looks like two squares overlapping, then there's something else awry.

20. VTMac

VTMac Pro

If after rebooting and double clicking the Virtue icon you get the preferences pain, then Virtue is presently configured to automatically start on your system. If Virtue is already running and your double click it's icon, you get the preferences pane. As Tony said, check the "Show in status bar" checkbox and you should in business.