Full screen switch not smooth

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by aussiebuddha, Aug 16, 2006.

1. aussiebuddha

aussiebuddha Bit poster

Hi there.

I'm having a problem when i switch to or from fullscreen windows the animation is not smooth.
    The animation/effect seems to be ok, but there's a funny windows resize that makes the process look ugly.

Its would be a great effect if it wasn't for this.
    any ideas how to fix it?
    Any plans to fix it for a next release?

2. ajay

ajay Hunter

Same thing here and I don't know the answer. I have a 23" HD Cinema screen and my switch to full screen seems ok if only for an instant. Then it resizes and appears in a couple of different positions on the screen before settling down to full screen mode. It all takes about 3 seconds, but it is noticeable and disappointing.

Anyone else note this and is there a fix or workaround? I've tried all the different animations and have played with the timing process, all to no avail.

3. VTMac

VTMac Pro

If you want a smooth result, I recommend you download and install Virtue Desktop. Many Parallels users rely on this and it works great.

4. ajay

ajay Hunter

I've heard about virtue but don't know much about it. I'll google it and see what it says. I take it virtue is a windows download?

I'll post my results.

5. ajay

ajay Hunter

First installment of several questions surely to follow. Virtue is a Mac application. I would have thought otherwise. How would it ensure smooth transitions from smaller to full screen Windows in my Parallels guest OS?

I like full screen windows but don't like having to resize in order to change focus to the Mac OS. Will virtue be of help in this regard?

I looked around the virtue site a little and didn't find much in the way of detailed information.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

6. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Virtue is a virtual desktop application for Mac. Basically you setup 2 (or more) virtual desktops. On one desktop you startup Parallels and maximize it. On the other desktop you run OSX as usual. To switch from one to the other,you just use a hot key. The default is CTRL+SHIFT+<arrow key>. You can reconfigure the hot key. You can configure the number of desktops. And you can configure the transition effect in preferences. (Cube. slide, warp, etc.) On my system I have 6 desktops. I use 1 for WinXP. 1 for Linux. And 4 others for various things I do in OSX regularly. I like the cube transition effect and I just use CTRL+SHIFT+<arrowkey> to switch between them. In fact, the cube transition effect was added to Parallels after users started using Virtue Desktops with it in Beta and then the developer of Virtue gave Parallels some code to do it. For some reason the Parallels implementation isn't as smooth as the Virtue implementation.

There are lots and lots of threads on this forum from the beta that cover use of Virtue with Parallels. If you really want a seamless solution, I suggest you do some searching.

7. Tony Arnold

Tony Arnold Member

Personally, if I were developing Parallels, I wouldn't use CGSTransitions like VirtueDesktops (which I do develop :) ) to switch from windowed mode to full screen. Notice how most games fade your screen to black, and _then_ switch resolutions, then fade back in? That would make the whole transition less jarring when your guest resolution is higher/lower than your host resolution.

Just a thought for Parallels development to think about.

8. ajay

ajay Hunter

Thanks guys. I will do some searching. I downloaded Virtue last night and ended up really disappointed. I have a virtue icon which when I click on it up comes a preference panel of sorts. That's it. I must be missing something, but I don't know what. I'll figure it out.

I really would like something to give me a nice smooth transition from Mac OS X to WinXP while in full screen mode. Heck, I'd be happy just to be able to acess my Mac from full screen Windows without first having to resize.