Solaris 10 - thus far ....

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by brettw, Apr 9, 2006.

1. brettw

brettw Member

I got Solaris 10 installed using real CDs from the 3/05 release. Here's what I can say ....

1. Performance - once booted Sol 10 runs quite snappy in the VM. I managed to get the Java Desktop running (albeit in 640x480) and judging against other machines I have experience with its quite responsive. After running Sol 10 on VPC in a PowerBook 1.5ghz I can say the perf gain is like 2 magnitudes better than just "useable". I'm **stoked** on that point.

2. Boot times - not sure what the heck is getting cached where but the reboot time is quite impressive !! I just wish I could get X configured properly and not have to re-experience the quickness of the reboots hehehe.

3. Installation - you can't use the DVD for any packages - e.g. Sun gives you documentation in this specific release on DVD .... same goes for Java Enterprise. So limit your load to only the 1st 4 CDs and packages from them. Note: The CD installation of Solaris x86/Sparc even in native platforms is as slow as a glacier so be patient if you do use real CDs.

4. X is hosed. When I first installed somehow I came up graphical on boot with a beautiful 1024x768 256 color screen - but on a MacBook you can't see the whole screen .... thus did kdmconfig again and many reiterations to get Xsun running .... finally I went with Xorg and 640x480 to just try it out. The graphics looked very promising though SOMEONE AT PARALLEL COULD HELP OUT AND POST THEIR X CONFIG THEY USED TO GET THE NICE DISPLAY THEY ADVERTISED WITH !!! PLEASE ??

5. I've not played with the RealTek driver for network yet. BTW its not included for some reason on the OS X beta along with a few other features/tools that I could'nt find. It is included in a tgz on one of the released Linux versions so I've downloaded that and will play with it after dinner. BTW the RealTEK driver is freeware - not a Parallel specific one.

I'm leaning towards buying this if all the bugs get worked out and I can get a decent desktop and network up and running.

Oh yeah - this is a way cool product - I spent 2 hours wasting around with Boot Camp last night until I saw this on a Google Search ..... hope things work out and you guys at Parallels kick the pants off VMware with the OS X product. Thanks ....

2. kmd

kmd Junior Member

I've been able to install Solaris 10 U1 from the DVD iso in text mode. Just attach the iso and off it goes.

The realtek driver is on the Tools image that came with the beta, vmtools.iso. Mount that and have a look in /cdrom/prltools/driver/network/rtl8029/solaris

The X-org config file I used is on the web at http://qube3.mcnmc.com/xorg/xorg.conf

Hope this helps,

K.

3. brettw

brettw Member

Superb! I'll try tonight. Thanks......

BTW can you check and let me know if your \ and | key is working ? Its not working for me and others at least on MacBooks with most Linux and Solaris .....

4. brettw

brettw Member

kmd - are you on a MacBook btw ... ? tnks ....

5. kmd

kmd Junior Member

Yes, I'm on a macbook.

The \| key doesn't work in console mode. In JDS you can add an xmodmap
    keycode 94 = backslash bar

to get it to work properly.

K.

6. brettw

brettw Member

as an update I deleted the old VM and started anew. I attempted to load from the 03/06 express DVD .iso and it doesn't work - looks like it can't find the file to layout the mini root - obviously PW is quite flaky in DVD support so I'll go back to using CD images. this is a bit frustrating not to have the media support ....

7. kmd

kmd Junior Member

There's an issue with the Nevada (express) builds installing. It complains about not having the install media (haven't tried it with Beta 3 yet). This problem happens with some PCs and is usually fixed by changing BIOS settings (according to some posts on the opensolaris site).

Try the Solaris 10 U1 DVD iso which is what I have installed.

K.

8. brettw

brettw Member

Thanks - Beta3 won't work with Express DVD --or-- CD images - bad portense if Express builds reflect future release media. I'll dowload tonight - now heading to the train to go back to reality of 124 sparcs / sol8 / nis / buggy software and a day of boredom interjected with brief moments of sheer fright ("the bank")........