Shared folder problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by glorfindeal, Aug 18, 2006.

1. glorfindeal

glorfindeal Bit poster

I haven't been able to map a shared folder into XP. I have set the preferences up to share a folder in my Mac OS X user directory. When I go to XP to map it, it shows the Glor's-Parallels under the work group tab but when I click on it, it doesn't show the folder I created to share. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I have the latest beta version.

Thanks,

Glor

2. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

I had a similar problem, and what i had to do was completely uninstall parallel tools and the reboot guest and then reinstall the tools.

This might be a bug, because it seems if you change anything in parallels prefs on shared, it gets out of sync with the tools

3. HWgeek

HWgeek Junior Member

Only thing I had to do after installing Parallels was the following:

Make sure I was on a network and getting an address via DHCP

Mac OS side:
    System Preferences - Sharing
    Select Windows Sharing (make sure it is on; ie "Windows Sharing on" to the right of the services table)
    The lower text will say
    " Windows users can access your computer at \\SOME SORT OF ADDRESS NAME\xxxxxx"
    Where xxxx is your login name/account

I then noted down under network my IP address (for example 10.27.6.161 for my network)

On the PC side: (Win XP)
    right click on "My Computer" and select Map Network Drive
    Select a drive letter for your new network drive
    Folder --> \\ 10.27.6.161\xxxxx
    where xxxx is your OSX login name from above

I use the IP number rather than the "address name" so I don;t have to worry about trying to deal with name resolution etc on the network.

I then asks me for my OS X username and password and maps my local OS X directory and all the sub folders to the drive letter under WIN XP that I picked.

Works out well for me.