Frequent Hangs

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by diurnate, Aug 18, 2006.

1. diurnate

diurnate Bit poster

Is anyone else running Windows XP under Parallels having frequent hangs? I find with the 1.0 version and the latest beta that I have frequent hangs - the guest OS hangs, and then if I try to quit or suspend, Parallels hangs during the "Please Wait while VM is suspending ..." progress bar. I've yet to have it hang when I'm using the machine - it only seems to happen when I'm away from my desk (although I have all the guest power management and screen savers disabled.)

Its a pretty stock WinXP install, SP2. The only potential culprit I can think of is the Cisco VPN software (which I need for work.)

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a response from Parallels support. Anyone else seeing a similar problem?

2. ksigit

ksigit Junior Member

I'm experiencing pretty much the same thing. It might be something to do with indexing service. In my case, i noticed that the VM will hang when the Copernic Desktop Search engine doing its indexing job. The only cure is hard reset of the VM.

3. diurnate

diurnate Bit poster

Interesting - the WinXP indexing service (cisvc.exe) is supposed to run when the machine is idle. I'll try disabling the service and see what happens.

4. corpmacguy

corpmacguy Bit poster

have you ever had the VM itself damaged enough by the hard reset that it won't boot?

5. diurnate

diurnate Bit poster

No - I've have to hard reset it every other day (and have been doing it for a month or so), and haven't damaged it yet. I do keep a backup of XP install though, just in case.