Just preordered - but turn off that extended download option

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dhjdhj, Apr 9, 2006.

1. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

I just logged in and saw you're now offering the program for $39 - this was a no brainer - even though the beta is still working fine, I've preordered it. Frankly, it was a nobrainer at $49 and to be perfectly honest, I would have paid the same price as I paid when I bought VMWare for Linux.]

Having said the above, PLEASE dump the extended download option. I've always felt that the extended download option was a ripoff - and most of that fee goes to DR/RegNow, not to the vendor

It's tacky to try and take advantage of not-so-knowledgable users instead of just telling them they could make a backup to a CD (all the new Intel Macs have writable CD drives in them).

Your product is great - you can charge a good price for it and you'll get the business.

David Jameson

2. vamp07

vamp07 Member

Same here. I find those extended download offers tacky to say the least. As soon as I see it I am turned off to the vendor. I don't fault Parallels but having regnow put this in your face and turn it on by default says allot about regnow.

3. anderkh

anderkh Junior Member

It's ridiculous

I really don't understand this - does it mean that I won't be able to download from Parallels and reinstall with my key? I've never heard of such a thing, and I agree - it is a turn off. I decided to not buy until I understand more about what the limitations are. To me, offering this service means that I will not be able to download from Parallels.com in the future. Is that true?

4. burgeke

burgeke Member

Other companies offer this - Symantec is one that I can think off. In a sense, it is designed so that if you loose your file, you can just re-download it. I personally think it is stupid. I always burn a CD or make a backup of downloaded products. However, I guess not everyone does so for them, maybe this makes sense.

The thing that I hate is that you don't really know what the added "service" is until you read into it, click the link or whever. So for those not paying attention, who think it is a requirement to buy it, they get suckered into it.

5. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Yes, they offer it because they sel through the Digital River system! I used to sell my own software through Digital River and RegNow which is why I'm familiar with that process and who it benefits! We also had to deal with (a) customers who didn't know what it was and (b) customers who were pissed that they bought an "unnecessary" add-on. It was more trouble than it was worth, particuarly since we didn't see most of the revenue from it!
    D

6. vamp07

vamp07 Member

I view these things as a scam. I am buying a working serial number, not some software that gets revved anyway. For many potential customers it a real turn off.

7. anderkh

anderkh Junior Member

I got a reply from Parallels support saying that you can always download it from Parallels - it's just a service offered from their payment processor (as mentioned before).