beta2 killed mail.app

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by andwi, Apr 10, 2006.

1. andwi

andwi Junior Member

After trying to install Fedora Core 5 (which fails) I can't launch Mail.app any more. It will crash (I can send the log on request.) To make sure I've installed a clean 10.4.5 on my MBP, then installed beta2. BTW, I did the clean install after Mail started crashing. I first tried removing Parallels (using the script provided by someone - I can't find any official tool or instructions on how to remove it!) and rebooted but Mail still crashed.

2. daveschroeder

daveschroeder Member

This is coincidence, because (especially after it and its kernel extensions are removed) there is no way that Parallels can do anything that would cause Mail to crash. (Other than perhaps revealing disk/filesystem problems you already had.)

3. jackT

jackT Bit poster

Maill.app crash with beta 3...coincidence again?

I just installed Parallels beta 3 on my Macbook Pro and at that time the mail application was opened (I used the link from the email I received to download the beta3).
    I started the beta3. and the virtual machine (that was suspended) loaded and started normally. A few second later, I add an error coming from the Mail application.
    Now (even if Paralles is closed) I have a "EXC_BAD_ACCESS" error when starting the Mail application :
    Code:
    Project Name:   MailViewer
    Source Version: 7490300

PID:    376
    Thread: 0

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x35393033

Thread 0 Crashed:
    0   com.apple.WebCore              	0x94f96c51 DOM::DOMString::DOMString[in-charge](DOM::DOMString const&) + 17
    1   com.apple.WebCore              	0x94fa3094 KWQFontFamily::KWQFontFamily[in-charge](KWQFontFamily const&) + 26
    2   com.apple.WebCore              	0x951bdad6 khtml::FontDef::FontDef[in-charge](khtml::FontDef const&) + 26
    3   com.apple.WebCore              	0x951d6f82 khtml::Font::Font[in-charge](khtml::Font const&) + 26

I have the complete error report if you need it

Regards

JackT

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  4. UKP

UKP Member

I have the exact same problem. Other than the memory address, my crash report looks identical.

I didn't know what was causing it though.

5. jackT

jackT Bit poster

Additionnal notes about my problems with beta 3 :

I have deleted completetly the /Library/Mail folder of my user acount and set up again my mail application.
    After having used Parallels beta 3 again and the closed it (even is the Mail app is closed), I cannot restart Mail again.... with the same error

JackT

6. tolaini

tolaini Junior Member

I had the same problem... Guess what was the fix? Delete the mail message from Parallels that announced the beta download! This message seems to crash Mail.app embedded HTML rendering engine. I had to trickle with Mail.app in order to not show this message when opening (the crash was almost instantaneous), but after deleting it Mail.app was fine.

7. jackT

jackT Bit poster

Interesting observation... But anyway the crash is still related to the installation of beta 3 : Mail.app will crash (certainly due to the html message) only when beta3 as been installed and has been runned at least one time... Otherwise, no problems...

JackT

8. andwi

andwi Junior Member

I can confirm. I also found out (after making a clean reinstall of the whole system and then restoring my system piece by piece) that if I select the beta announcement in Mail it will crash... Always delete the messages from parallels _before_ installing an update. Perhaps we can ask parallels to make the messages self-destruct in 10 seconds?