Beta3 is out

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jmdevaney, Apr 12, 2006.

1. jmdevaney

jmdevaney Member

Do I need to say anymore!

2. Manatee

Manatee Member

Outstanding! Parallels' responsiveness to their users is excellent. :)

I'll be installing Beta3 in a few minutes.

3. cajetanus

cajetanus Junior Member

Wow impressive

I just downloaded the .dmg file.

However, I forgot that I was consulting your site INSIDE the Virtual Machine. So I now have a .dmg file on my windows desktop (inside my Mac). Very wierd experience.

But more practically speaking, is there any way to get this file to my Mac so that I don't have to download the file again ?

I am very impressed with this software. It is so good that you forget that you are really on a Mac (for better or worse).

Thanks again

4. burgeke

burgeke Member

I searched to see what the best method is to 'upgrade' and came up empty. Can we just run the installer again and it will upgrade beta2 or do we have to trash beta2 then install 3

Sorry if this has been covered.

5. dailo

dailo Member

Just install it. It will automatically upgrade.

6. dailo

dailo Member

If you don't have bridge networking then probably not.

7. burgeke

burgeke Member

Perfect, thank you :)

8. hussainahm

hussainahm Member

seems like a downgrade to me ! it's running much slower for me than with B2 .. 2GHz iMac with 1.5GB memory, assigned 512MB to the Guest OS. took 17 seconds to get to the welcome screen and then waaaay more to get to where you can use it

9. dailo

dailo Member

I have a 2.0 MBP with a gig of ram and it loads up quite fast for me. The CPU utilization is definately less then before.

10. John Mac

John Mac Junior Member

It still seems slower to me as well. Beta1 loaded Windows XP in like 15 seconds (!!)

Beta2 was more like 70 seconds. Beta3 is like 45-50 seconds. I'm on a dual 2.0 GHZ macbook pro (512MB RAM to Parallels VM)

CPU utilization is definately much improved which is nice.

-- JM

11. dzins

dzins Member

I upgraded and if I start the VM with network support my mac stops and says hold down the power button for six seconds.

How do you upgrade the parallel tools?

12. dgranda

dgranda Bit poster

You can run an ftp server on your mac (I'm using pure ftpd) that will let you ftp to put files onto the HD in Mac OS. This didn't work in beta 2, or at least I couldn't get it to work. You should also be able to use remote desktop with either RDC or rdesktop.

13. jla0

jla0 Junior Member

Question is.. did you install applications in Windows since the initial install of Beta1? Windows does slow down as you install applications.

I noticed a dramatic slow down since I've installed the Novell client with other apps.

14. bripirie

bripirie Bit poster

No more crashing entire machine after it goes to sleep!

Awesome!!!

15. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Huh? How does that happen? If that was true, my Windows system would be completely stopped by now!
    D

16. PCMacGuy

PCMacGuy Junior Member

Booting slower in Beta 3 and some Panics with CyTV. . .

I notice that my boot time is about 3 to 4 times slower too (Win 2k VM with 256MB RAM). Nothing has changed in the VM machine software wise, but CPU usage is way down. Beta 2 really caused no problems after CPU spikes the CPU usage declined to virtually nothing. Once booted the speed speed of Beta 3 seems OK just a tad slower.

My biggest problem seems to be that CyTV (a great EyeTV network utility) causes Beta 3 to die in seconds after booting the Parallels VM machine (black screen of death.) Will send in the panic log to the Parallels team to review later today. Just hope the final product will let use run the VM as CPU aggressively as we want.

With Beta 2 I was very happy with the speed. My iMac is neck and neck with my P4 2.8 GH system. Beta 3 is just tinny-tiny bit slower just initial testing.

Haven't tested out using a CD or DVD yet. Seems like you have to have a CD or DVD in the drive first before launching the VM in order for it to be recognized. I installed part of the Adobe CS suite last night and had to manually eject the CD's to change the disks.

-PCMacGuy

17. jla0

jla0 Junior Member

Take 2 systems. 1 with a fresh install of XP and another with XP and about 20-25 apps installed. Boot them up at the same time. No way in hell will they both be done booting at the same time.

The more DLL/Registry entries you have.. the more time it will take the system to read/load them all. It's common sense man!