Alright, I'm frustrated (and stupid).

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Flipperbw, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Flipperbw

Flipperbw Bit poster

I successfully installed Windows XP sp2 on parallels. It runs perfectly. No problems, and I can even get on the internet just fine.

This is my problem: I simply want to be able to say, run a prog in windows which creates file X. I want to move that file over to my mac portion. I've tried so many ways, and nothing seems to work. I tried the whole bonjour thing, but it only recognizes my Boot Camp partition and my other computer I have in my house.

My set up is: Home desktop computer connected through router via ethernet.
    Macbook pro connected to internet by linksys wireless router. It has bootcamp and parallels. I need both.

Can someone please step me through this? it really doesn't seem like it should be so complicated to transfer a simple file...I installed the parallels tools, but parallels claims that there will be an icon that i can change properties with, but of course there is not. Copy and paste from one to the other doesnt work either, even though i installed it.

And I don't undertstand the whole shared folder thing, that doesn't seem to work either. yes I have windows sharing turned on.

Frustrated and confused :( ....thanks in advance.

2. n4khq

n4khq Member

The shared folder is the way to go. You have to tell it which folder to use on the mac side . From Configuration Editor, click Shared Folders and enable shared folders and point to the folder you want to use.

The shared folder should appear as Parallels Shared Folder on the XP desktop. If is does not appear or does not work re-install parallels tool from the VM menu. Sometimes tools does an uninstall the first time and I have to run it again to get an install. Does not happen every time I install, don't know why

3. Flipperbw

Flipperbw Bit poster

Ah, there. Reinstall needed...I see the folder now, thanks!

4. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

I'd be careful with Shared Folders. They cause corrupted files for me regularly. If you are just reading OSX files - no problem (other than very slow). You can also use Windows Sharing from the OSX side and map a drive letter in the Windows side. There are a number of discussions and examples on how to do this on this forum. Here's one way:

http://www.microdeveloper.com/html/parallels/share_howto/

This is much faster (for me) and is completely stable (no corruption). Used in conjunction with Bonjour, it should work anytime you are connected to a network. Bonjour, BTW, should not have anything to do with your Boot Camp partition as it only is used for network translation.

5. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I too stay away from Shared folders. I had one corrupted file. Never went back.

I installed a freeware program in Mac OS X called SharePoints. It's available here:

http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/

Once installed there is a perferences panel that allows you to define "shares" that are automatically published for you whenever OS X starts.

I made a folder in my Documents directory called: VMXP-Shared. I have this folder shared in SharePoints with Windows access enabled.

All I have to do in WinXP is map to it using standard network mapping. It typically will prompt for my username/password on first connection after a boot but it is FAST and works both directions.

So that is how I dump files back and forth.

M

6. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

Yes, Sharepoints is great for managing OSX shares, the other part of the equation for easy SMB is the name resolution component supplied by Bonjour for Windows. For the paranoid, you can also use Flying Buttress to create discreet firewall rules - a touch more complex than the standard firewall utility granted.

That's basically what the prior whitepaper lays out.