Starting a virtual machine crashes Mac Pro (new Intel tower)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by faddante, Aug 9, 2006.

1. jdifronzo

jdifronzo Bit poster

One final thought on the PMTU work around. Thinking about this more, I don't think the changes to the registry should have any effect. The problem is receiving incoming fragmented packets, not sending fragments, which is what the registy setting change. With that in mind I decided to remove all the suggested registry entries and reboot the VM.

After restart I toggled the MTU setting in System Preferences as suggested by Jeff A. It seemed to work just fine for me.

2. Jeff A

Jeff A Bit poster

I now concur with jdifronzo, updating the Windows Registry is not required, I just removed the values I had set previously and was able to get networking functioning just by toggling the MTU setting on the Mac side each time I restart the VM.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  3. marcmec

marcmec Junior Member

What's the advantage to that? By changing the windows registry, it's a one-time adjustment. Otherwise you have to toggle the MTU setting in OS X each time you boot a VM. What am I missing?

4. cs120ban

cs120ban Bit poster

Running it in 32 bit mode defeat the purpose of having a macpro. It is retard. Please update it into 64 bit mode.

5. Jeff A

Jeff A Bit poster

It turns out updating the Windows registry wasn't the correct fix. It 'worked' only after I toggled the MTU setting on the Mac. It's the toggling action that temporarily fixes the problem. Unfortunately on my system it appears to be needed each time I restart the VM.

6. schmidp

schmidp Member

good news for you, bootcamp 1.1 supports the isight. so if you install the bootcamp 1.1 drivers inside of your virtual windows xp, you should be able to use the isight with parallels.

(I haven't tried yet, so don't take my words for granted)

lg philipp

7. marcmec

marcmec Junior Member

The windows regitry change worked for me. I have never changed the MTU setting in OS X.

8. michael_aos@mac.com

michael_aos@mac.com Member

Just wanted to chime in. My Mac Pro arrived today.

After 3 kernel-panics attempting to start XP Pro, I discovered this forum and this known-issue.

Any ETA on a Mac Pro update?

Thanks,

Mike

9. Khadgar

Khadgar Junior Member

This is really a nice way to run a business. Very nice. There's a problem with a new computer released and there's no mention of the problem on the website anywhere except the support forums. I just bought this software yesterday to run on my new Mac Pro. Great job. Just great.

For some odd reason I only checked the support forums when Parallels decided to crash my new Mac. It's typically common sense that users would only go to a support forum if they had problems with the software. I didn't think of using the tryout. My friends using it on iMacs and Mac Minis never had a second's trouble. I just thought it would work on the Mac Pro I purchased without a hitch. Boy was I wrong.

If there's a problem this big in the software it would be a good idea to show a warning to potential purchasers that this software doesn't work on the machine they're purchasing it for. It would prevent people like me from thinking that they had just purchased a worthless piece of software (at least at the moment). Please fix this as quickly as possible as there are bound to be people like me who have their money tied up in a computer and a piece of software that doesn't work together.

10. ssmith

ssmith Bit poster

Mac Pro

Well - I'm in the same boat - I tripped an hour to an Apple store specifically to purchase a retail copy, and even they said nothing about a problem with the MacPro - so after my 3rd kernal panic, I went Googling.

I'm not too worried - i've been making do with a PC just for dev testing, but I'm anxious to get this running on my tower, as the performance promises to be much better.

I will agree that an easy to find note that this is a problem may have saved me crashing my machine 3 times in a row, the first kernal panics I've had since Jaguar I think. If I had of lost anything, I would be much less understanding. However I never would have gone looking for a bug until after it crashed anyways...

That said - this is a killer product on the machines I've seen it run on, and kudos to the guys working on this project. I'm dying to have a working install on my new XeonRocket!

11. version

version Bit poster

I went to an Apple store and talk to an Apple expert and they had no idea until after I told them that the software would not run on the new Mac Pro. I don't particulary know that the dev team did either until they got their hands on one of the Mac Pro's. I am new to Apple, first one I ever bought. I have faith they will be offering a patch ASAP. I am sure it is their highest priority. I spent a lot of time tring to get it to work but I'll consider that a learning experience.

If anyone on the dev teams wants to answer this ....

Do we have an estimated ETA on a patch?

12. Khadgar

Khadgar Junior Member

Oh I'm pretty sure the devs here didn't either, but they DID know the day I purchased the software. My gripe is not that it doesn't work. Crap happens, but there is no notice anywhere on the website except here in the forums that it indeed doesn't work at the moment on Mac Pros.

I thought that by that statement there it meant that it worked on any Intel-powered Apple. I have a Mac Pro that is an Intel-powered Apple. Considering that statement I bought the software as all my friends owning other Macintosh models did. This is what I'm angry about. I'm not looking for a refund either. I expect it will be fixed soon. I'm just looking for software that I have purchased to work as advertised.

13. multios

multios Bit poster

I just ordered a memory upgrade for my Mac Pro (16GB) with the intention of using Parallels with a number of different operating systems. I hope this bug is fixed soon, I would hate to have to wait for VMware to come out with their OSX version. It would at least be nice to see some sort of update on the Parallels website with a Mac Pro version release date.

14. macaddict

macaddict Bit poster

I was happy to see the quick responses from the Parallels team members when the Mac Pro issues first broke (Aug 10 to 14). :)

Now, nothing but crickets for the past week. :(

I can scratch this itch on my MacBook Pro, where the software runs like a charm. I even have sling player running in an XP window while I work on my OSX desktop. So I can be more patient than most:D

However, in my experience radio silence does not mean good things.

Please give us Mac Pro owners a glimmer of hope PD team :confused:

Cheers

15. zaxxon

zaxxon Bit poster

Not so lucky MBP

I'm still getting at least 2 Kernel Panics per day (mbuf and unresolved kernel trap) on a MBP w/2GB RAM and 768MB set for XP VM. I'm running build 1862 in Mac OS X 10.4.7 8J2135. Kernel Panics occurring even without Parallels running. Removing Parallels from startup items solves the problem. I'm curious, how come yours is runing so well? What version are you running?

16. macaddict

macaddict Bit poster

I have stayed away from betas. I am running 1848.2, the out of the box version I bought at Apple retail. I have 10.4.7 of OSX. Win XP Pro. Standard VM sizings.

I tried running Blackberry desktop within my XP/Parallels window and couldn't get USB to recognize my BB. I know some of the subsequent beta PD releases have improved USB connectivity, but I am too scared to upgrade to a beta, since my slingplayer is operating so smoothly.

Knock wood, I have not had one panic or even so much as a shiver in MBP under PD. I don;'t know what else to say...

Cheers

17. BlueSkyISdotCOM

BlueSkyISdotCOM Member

I am baffled by the people who 1. expect a reply to every email and forum request for "when it is going to be ready" and, at the same time, 2. expect the problem to be fixed quickly.

Do you all think that the Parallels team is going to abandon development of Parallels for Mac upon the release of Mac Pros? Think about it!

Relax, folks. They aren't wasting time on answering the hundreds (thousands?) of emails and messages asking "when, when, when???" They are focusing on fixing the problem.

-Blue

18. babal

babal Bit poster

information politics

I got my Mac Pro last week and Parallels Desktop hoping to finish an important project over the weekend. Spent a lot of time reinstalling and searching the reasons for the kernel panics that crushed my machine till I finally found this hidden forum.

I'm highly disappointed, not because the much hyped program doesn't work on my Mac Pro, but because a known and documented incompatibility with Mac Pro is not mentioned anywhere on the Parallels site, neither in the FAQ's nor when you buy the product.

I'm quite amazed that there is not a bigger outcry online or in the press about such shady information politics. This will likely change if the problem is not fixed or at least officially acknowledged very soon.

However busy the Parallels guys might be fixing the problem, it takes only a couple of minutes to add an appropriate warning on the Parallels Desktop for Mac site which will save Mac Pro customers a lot of trouble and time.. not to speak of the data potentially lost by the unexpected crashes.

19. Khadgar

Khadgar Junior Member

No, most of the gripes lately have been due to the lack of information on the site about its not working. That's the big problem here, not the fact that it doesn't work. People purchase the software thinking it will work as advertised, but low and behold they get kernel panics and a nice crash on their new Mac Pro.

I'm surprised someone hasn't seeded this on Digg or Newsvine. This is quite a big deal. A program doesn't work as advertised and there's no information anywhere stating anything to the contrary.

I, myself, will wait for the fix, but I think they should put some information on the website stating that it doesn't work with the Mac Pro yet.

20. macaddict

macaddict Bit poster

here is the latest from the parallels team:

http://forums.parallels.com/thread3820.html

"Hello All,

Mac Pro support is top priority task for development team now. Fix will be available in next public build.

Cheers