Beta Update for Parallels Desktop for Mac is available!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by STim, Aug 8, 2006.

1. constant

constant Forum Maven

Yes, upgrade, in the true sense of the word.

Yes, purchased keys work with minor upgrades like this.

2. jonnybradley

jonnybradley Bit poster

Oh, and i meant to mention that i re-enabled the audio and it doesn't seem to lock up the guest OS when waking for sleep any more - another Very Good Thing! (now, if i could just get my headset working... :rolleyes: )

jonny

3. hayes_philip

hayes_philip Junior Member

Hi,
    Anyone tried to connect Nokia data suite cables via USB yet?
    It'd be good to know if this works before I upgrade Parallels.
    I won't be able to try this for a week or so myself because my macbook is having a new logic board, as are thousands of other week 19/20 macbooks at the moment.

4. BBH

BBH Junior Member

When I use the internal "check for Updates" menu choice inside of my store purchased copy of Parallels, it says I am up to date. Obviously, I am not. Will installing this update on top of my regular partition cause me grief or....

May I assume the "beta" upgrade will eventually be a regular upgrade that the program will recognize via its internal upgrade mechanism?

5. jonnybradley

jonnybradley Bit poster

Oh dear - looks like i spoke too soon - just came back to the machine and XP is locked up - Parallels still working ok (until i tried to suspend XP - oops).

Looks like the "sound enabled means lockup after sleep/wakeup" issue is better (for me) but not completely solved.

btw, is this where i should be reporting bugs etc? (Sorry, no time to search...)

jonny

6. robcw

robcw Bit poster

I too would like to knoe if the timex usb devices work if so let me know and I will go out and buy a new mac

7. ICreel

ICreel Junior Member

To the administrator: You may want to highlight in the upgrade newsletter or ad that you do not need to purchase a new liscence since this was not clear to me and I had to dig through a lot of forum posts to find the answer.

8. jmreiser

jmreiser Bit poster

Is this release for MacPro?

I tried this beta and I still get either the Kernel Panic where the curtain comes down and you have to power off, or Can't communicate with Hypervisor. Both occur when starting up any VM. I have not gotten far enough to install XP yet. Have real purchased copies of that and PD.

9. constant

constant Forum Maven

jmreiser,

Something is very wrong there, and I would bet that it is not Parallels. There have been too many thousands of clean installs to imagine that one would mysteriously persist in going wrong.

Try a new download. If you have a friend with a Mac, try installing your copy that you burn to cd. Check some things with your Mac installation.

10. version

version Bit poster

I have two Mac Pro's and I get a kernel panic or hypervisor error on both of them. I know at least 4 other people that are getting the errors as well. I worked two solid days on fixing it and applying the workaround does work but I don't think I should have to do that. I'll wait for them to come out with a patch that addresses the situation correctly.

11. medunkt

medunkt Junior Member

commitment to Parallels users

12. macintologist

macintologist Bit poster

I'm having a problem with networking. My Parallels network port grayed out and is unavailable. Now I can't get any networking within my VM :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jackgm

jackgm Bit poster

Have to pay again? For the Update now?

I'm a little confused over the cost of Parallels. I bought it in the store earlier this month and see there's an update for it. But everything I've read here on the Parallels Web site suggests you have to pay again....this time for the update. I've sent an e-mail to Parallels but have received no answer. Am I reading it wrong and if so, what do you have to do to get the update free of charge?
    Thanks in advance.

14. palter

palter Hunter

You're reading it wrong.

This update is a free update. It is still a beta of course. If you don't mind using a beta, just download it and install it. It will automatically recognize the license key from your prior version.

If you'd prefer to not use a beta, wait until the update goes final. At that time, the automatic update feature in Parallels will notice the new update and offer to update itself.

15. Ben @ Parallels

Ben @ Parallels Member

Palter, you're spot on. This update is COMPLETELY FREE to all users. All minor updates (ie, updates like this, or "point updates" are always free for all of our products!