losing the last digit/character when pasting

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Moondougie, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

This has worked flawlessly every version I've tried, until now.

When I copy from any program in OS X and then try to paste into a program in Parallels Desktop, it pastes everything EXCEPT the final digit/character from the clipboard - is there anyway to fix this - I copy and paste from Mac to Windows all day long at work and if there isn't a way to fix it, I'm going to have to go back to RC instead of the new beta

thanks, in advance, to anyone who can help me fix this!!!

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

This is not a universal problem - it doesn't happen here. How about more specifics such as how you copy/paste (menu vs. keyboard), computer type, memory, vm config.

dp

3. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

where it normally happens and if I could get it fixed here, I'd be blissful is when I've got Excel open on my Mac and copy the contents of a cell (normally 6-10 digits/letters) and then go to Desktop and a Windows program that I paste the contents of the clipboard into - all of the letters/numbers except the last one are pasted, the last digit/letter isn't and I have to manually type it in.

I use keyboard shortcuts, but can try using the menu selections (after I get back from lunch) and see if that makes a difference.

I'm on a 2 GHz MacBook Pro with 2 GB of RAM and I've given Windows 764 MB of RAM to work with.

This has always worked fine until I upgraded to the latest beta version - It's always pasted the full contents of the clipboard with earlier versions for me

4. IMNiles

IMNiles Junior Member

That's odd, since before the beta (which I have not yet tried), I had the OPPOSITE problem where copies from winXP would append an EXTRA bogus character (which usually appeared as a question mark) on the mac side. I'll have to play with it to see if it's consistently reproducible.

5. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

ok, I tested and it makes now difference whether I copy/paste with keyboard or menus or a combination of both - what gets pasted is still shy of the last character.

something else I'm noticing is that Desktop seems to be leaking memory - I've tried both settings on virtual memory and while Parallels Desktop is open, the available disk space - not doing anything else, other than using Desktop, dwindles over time (I've lost 2 GB of hard drive space since this morning - if I restart my Mac, it comes back (the lost drive space that is)

6. ron_13

ron_13 Bit poster

Build 1862 Beta (and earlier)

The following has happened to me for a while now. (before Build 1862 Beta)

Copying 1710240 from WinXP (latest everything) to Mac OS X 10.4.7 (latest everything) I get the following result (please note you'll only see it with apps that care).
    1710240\x00

For example in BBEdit (TextWrangler (free)) open a doc type a string of numbers, switch to Notepad under Windows XP type the same number. Highlight the number and copy to clipboard. Swtch back to Mac OS X and in BBEdit (TextWrangler (free)) do a Command-F followed by Command-V (do a search command followed by a paste, click Find and you'll get a result not found. If you do a Command-F again you'll see the hidden characters. (Something like TextEdit seems to ignore the extra hidden characters)

But new in Build 1862 Beta, is the clipboard going from Mac OS X to WinXP is getting extra characters. It's not as easy to reproduce, but when I have steps I'll post.

Hope this helps.

7. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

that's funny - and quite the opposite of what's happening to me

and actually, since I do quite a bit of copying from Mac Excel and pasting into a Windows app on the Parallels Desktop side, if I don't find a fix for it in the near future, I'm most likely going to go back to the version before this beta, when it still worked right for me…

8. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

k, I went back to the version before the latest beta and now pasting text is working properly for me - I'm gonna make sure I keep a backup of this version everytime an update comes out, so that I can go back if the newer version doesn't paste for me properly…

9. hansderycke

hansderycke Member

I'm seeing both problems: a copy from Mac to Win2K drops the last character, a copy from Win2K inserts an extra line feed or carriage return. Oh, and Word on the Mac side *still* can't tell that something has appeared on the clipboard: I copy on Win2K, paste it in Notebook on the Mac, select that, copy it, and then I can paste it in Word for Mac.

10. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Yes i have seen it both ways, there is def. an issue and it started for me on this beta