Anyone running Freespire Linux?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by peterwor, Aug 17, 2006.

1. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Has anyone tried installing the new Freespire linux distro? If so, what base distro did you use to create the VM (Debian, RG, FreeBSD etc).
    I'm curios because it appears that this new distro is causing quite a stir in some places and from what I've seen it looks pretty nice, especially the CNR (Click N Run) feature that installs packagees. Its very windows'ish but it stills looks like something worth looking into.

T.I.A.,
    Peter

2. djchem

djchem Bit poster

I tried to get it to install but it would not boot either from a CD or the iso image. i didn't relly put in that much effort though.

3. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Just as an update... I've installed it and frankly its pretty nice, everything just works, the package installer is great. I'm starting to really like it. The only issue I can find is that the audio seems to break up a little, there are slight pauses or a crckling. Other than that the distro is pretty sweet...

Cheers,
    Peter

4. djchem

djchem Bit poster

Did you have to do anything special? I just get the message no boot drive available whatever I do. I would like to have a look at freespire so any help would be appreciated.

5. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

DJ,
    I used "other Linux" as the base for the install and allocated 496M of RAM for the VM. Other than that I didn't do anything special. I'm using a MacBook Pro with 2G of RAM.

You did configure the CD/DVD to be the image (.iso file) right? or did you burn a CD/DVD?
    I started my machine when teh CD/DVD, Hard Disk as the boot order then used teh .sio file as the boot image and told the VM to use an image file not the physical CD as the CD/DVD device.

Try that config and see if it will install. Are you sure that your DL image isn't corrupt. You should at least be able to boot the installer.

Let me know,
    Peter

6. djchem

djchem Bit poster

Just reinstalled parallels proper (I had installed the beta) and now it is installing fine, thanks fot the info.

:)

7. jayholler

jayholler Bit poster

I just installed Freespire last night. Quick install, breeze to get set up in fullscreen. I did notice the crackling audio, and I'm using a MacBook with 2GB of RAM. I don't plan on using it for sound applications though so it's no big deal to me. I'm basically loading it to see what it is like and to muck about without the worry of hosing my main machine.