HUGE mem leak....

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by themacace, Aug 24, 2006.

1. themacace

themacace Bit poster

i'm running the new parallels beta... I looked in activity monitor and found that as time goes on, a HUGE amount of "inactive" memory builds up, leaving my system with only 20-30 megs of "free memory"
    this leak will happen even when parallels is just sitting there on, idling...
    This is with a macbook 2.0ghz with 1.25 gigs of ram, and only 256 assigned to my winxp!!!
    any solutions?
    *edit*
    another thing... this "leak" doesnt fix itself by restarting parallels..you have to completely restart the mac :(

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  2. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

Not a problem

This does not have anything to do with Parallels; this is just how Mac OSX works.

As soon as your computer needs any more memory, "Inactive memory" is as good as "free memory", it is simply caching whatever was last in it. It is normal to show very little "free memory" once OSX has been running for some time, parallels or no parallels.

Read http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107918

3. themacace

themacace Bit poster

any way to get around this?

4. kwojniak

kwojniak Junior Member

What's there to get around. As alkalifly mentioned, it's part of OS X - it's how the system works.

5. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Spot on. This has come up before with people thinking there are memory leaks when there aren't.

6. indabox

indabox Junior Member

This is not Windows. Don't worry about memory management...

7. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

Yes, you can get around it by not opening any files or executing any programs. Even more effective is never turning on your computer in the first place. That guarentees that all your RAM will be free. ;)