XP and Parallels onto a second computer?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by TimAnAussie, Aug 16, 2006.

1. TimAnAussie

TimAnAussie Bit poster

I seem to have succesfully installed parallels with XP onto my mac and all seems ok,,, i would also like to do same on an Macbookpro ,,, can i simply copy from the virtual directory or do i need to do the new install and upgrade too sp2 all afresh in the second computer?

2. ajay

ajay Hunter

I don't think you can do what you want without purchasing another license and another copy of Windows:

Quote from the Parallels FAQ:

I have two Operating Systems installed on my hard disk(s). Can I activate Parallels Workstation on both of them using the same license?

The Parallels Workstation End-User License Agreement (EULA) states:
    You may use one copy of the Software registered with a registration key on a single personal computer owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by you, at a single time. If you have multiple registration keys for the Software, you may make and use as many copies of the Software as you have registration keys. For purposes of this Agreement, "use" of the Software means loading the Software into the temporary or permanent memory of a computer.

The agreement requires that you either choose one OS on which you want to install Parallels Workstation, or purchase two licenses so you can run Parallels Workstation on both OSes simultaneously.

3. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

It really depends on how well Parallels mask the HAL (Hardware Access Layer), I would think with that it shouldnt be a problem unless you have like a dvd RW on one and just a dvd on other, but you could edit the guest prior to launch

But you do have the licensing issue and XP might sense enuf hardware changes that it requests an activation key

let us know how it fares :)

4. Pleiades

Pleiades Member

A virtual machine created on one Mac can be copied over to another Mac. If it's a Windows virtual machine, though, you'll have to make sure you have a separate license for it to be legal.

To make it legal, you don't have to reinstall Windows at all. Just change the activation key. Here's how to do that:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874/

And of course, make sure you have a second Parallels license. :)

5. TimAnAussie

TimAnAussie Bit poster

Thanks for the replies,,,,
    I decided to sit it out and doing a fresh install on the MBP. mainly because i didnt allocate enough HD space on the original istall and as easy as it looks to increase in parallels it doesnt look an easy option to get windows to recognise the increase.

6. Mark

Mark Member

I use Partition Magic and it's trivial, though you do have to buy a copy of it.

7. ajay

ajay Hunter

Mark:

Does Partition Magic work with vm Windows exactly as it does with a standard Windows machine? In other words resizing windows hd allocation and partioning?

8. kwojniak

kwojniak Junior Member

gparted works well and is free