Parallels and Apple Bluetooth Products

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bigbod, Aug 13, 2006.

1. bigbod

bigbod Junior Member

Hi all,

A very simple question (I hope). Does the Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse and Wireless Keyboard work with Parallels and Windows XP?

They are not supported with Windows XP under Bootcamp...

Cheers
    Rod

2. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Any keyboard and mouse will work with parallels, as long as it works with the Mac.

Perallels does not actually let the VM talk directly to the keyboard and mouse hardware. It emulates a pretty standard keyboard/3 button scroll wheel mouse to the guest OS.

Because of the way the emulation works, don't install any drivers/special software for your keyboard (like mouseware). If you have any special hardware buttons on your keyboard or mouse, they won't work in the VM.

3. ajay

ajay Hunter

Works just fine for me and I didn't do a thing to make it work, it just did. Running a Mac mini as host and WinXP Pro as a guest OS under OS X. I have Apple's bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

4. lithe951

lithe951 Member

Good to know. However I will say that the USB mouse emulation (Logitech basic optical mouse) drove me nuts because it just wasn't smooth, while the trackpad was very smooth. I tried the trick of reducing the Windows hardware acceleration which improved things a lot. Then I actually installed Windows Mouseware and it was immediately much improved. Finally changing the Windows VM to run in a window at a slightly lower resolution than the Mac native (1200x800) made it work just about perfectly.

Got a wireless Mighty Mouse on order, can't wait to see how that works. :)

Mark

5. lithe951

lithe951 Member

Just as a follow up, my wireless mighty mouse arrived this morning and it works great! No issues in XP at all and it is very smooth. The track ball takes a little getting used to because it uses a much lighter touch, but so far I like it.

The other thing that will take a little practice is the position of the optical sensor. Logitech places it in the center of the mouse and Apple's is up in the nose. My wrist is programmed for the Logitech placement, so getting the quick motion I'm used to is causing me to rewire my brain a bit... :)

Mark

6. mutrata

mutrata Bit poster

BUT...

If you are trying to use an IP-Connection that has been established under MAC OS X via Bluetooth - this doesn't work. Unfortunately.

Does anybody has an idea how this might work (otherwise it is impossible i.e. to use a mobile phone via bluetooth to log into the internet).

Thanks in advance !