Gentoo 2.6.15.1

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by wvaladez, Aug 25, 2006.

1. wvaladez

wvaladez Junior Member

Getting unknown symbols upon insmod/modprobe after running parallels-config. Is there a certain kernel version that is needed for 2.2? 2.1 Ran ok on the system previously, with some minor stability issues.

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for report - we will check this.

3. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

Please post output of dmesg here.

4. wvaladez

wvaladez Junior Member

dmesg output

Here is my dmesg output:

[30731] parallels Hypervisor 2.2-2050 exited.
    [31539] Device /dev/hypervisor registered with 10.62
    [31539] parallels Hypervisor 2.2-2050 initialized.
    vm_main: Unknown symbol init_module
    vm_main: Unknown symbol cleanup_module

5. wvaladez

wvaladez Junior Member

Fixed

Well I encountered the same problem of being unable to locate the hypervisor and vm_main modules on a system that was running 2.6.17 in addition to the 2.6.15 one. I started looking around and saw that the modules were indeed there. By chance I thought maybe if I did

su -

instead of just

su

that it would be able to "see" the modules. And indeed it did. Allowed parallels-config to work properly on my machine and also on my wife's. There should probably be a notice to use su - or log in directly as root (don't use regular su) to run parallels-config. Works great now.

6. constant

constant Forum Maven

The "-" after the su means that the user's environment variables, such as "path" are carried through to the root user login. It's worth remembering.