Beta 3 Comments... Still Sound/Boot Problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by zmonster, Apr 12, 2006.

1. zmonster

zmonster Member

The release notes say that sound support is now included, and that the "5 second" (i.e fast) boot time is back. However, I don't see evidence of either of these fixes when running Windows 2000.

Win2k still takes a good 30-45 seconds to boot on my Intel Duo Core iMac. Furthermore, sound is not working. I tried uninstalling, and re-installing the Parallel Tools (drivers), and sound still doesn't work. It says the Intel AC 97 sound device could not start, but of course Windows never gives you any useful information beyond that.

- Eric

2. zmonster

zmonster Member

I should also follow up that when I start the Win2K VM under Beta 3, a popup appears saying that some other application has enabled VXT (acceleration), and that I need to click "OK" to continue, or "cancel" to edit settings. I've never seen this screen before. I assume it popped up because I ran Beta 2 yesterday on the same machine, and then installed Beta 3 and started it without restarting my machine??

- Eric

3. arfung

arfung Junior Member

Login was slow for me as well in the beta3. I realized that I had some network drives mapped in WindowsXP. When I deleted these mapped drives, boot time got very quick again. As to the sound, you have to "add devices" in the parallels VM configuration window before booting the windows VM, and then add the sound card through windows. At least that worked for me.

4. Duke

Duke Junior Member

CD Rom Not Found with Beta3

I tried several time to locate the CD Rom Driver after installing Beta3. I tried with and without the CD:( in the drive before starting up.

5. sdlavergne

sdlavergne Junior Member

This is what worked for me, except that XP automatically detected the soundcard. I was going to device manager in XP when Windows dinged at me.

Besides the trailing warble on dings, the sound works great! I watched a video that wouldn't play in Safari under my Windows XP. The sound worked well, and the video looked good.

I also really, really, really like the enhances to the mouse. I was getting very tired of hitting control alt to get out of parallels. I pre-ordered my copy today. I am very impressed with how responsive parallels has been!