Parallels & Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bomberaia, Aug 27, 2006.

1. bomberaia

bomberaia Member

Can you load Parallels after you installed Boot Camp and XP or do you load Parallels first?

2. m1k3yt

m1k3yt Bit poster

In a nutshell - it doesn't matter.

That is because Parallels can not utilise the native windows partition created by boot camp; although this functionallity is on a lot of peoples wish lists! So if you want to install XP (for example) then you'll need two licensed copies - one for boot camp, the other for parallels.

3. bomberaia

bomberaia Member

That's a pain. Thanks.

4. BlueSkyISdotCOM

BlueSkyISdotCOM Member

You only need one license to run Windows in Parallels or Boot Camp on a single computer.

5. Kupe

Kupe Member

One would think. But my OEM copy of XP- which has only been registered previously in my Parallels installation, won't register in my BootCamp installation. I get a message that the key has been previously used. See
    http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=3445&highlight=windows+key

Dave

6. bomberaia

bomberaia Member

If you have a Mac w/ 2 HD's, would you install XP & Boot Camp on the second HD? Where would Parallels XP be installed? How much memory do you need? These questions may seem to be basic, but I'm thinking about switching to a Mac Pro & a Macbook Pro soon. My Cad program only runs on a PC. All my other programs that I use will run on a Mac. Thanks for the help.

7. schulzmc

schulzmc Bit poster

I did the phone version of activation and they immediately gave me a second activation key when I explained this was a different install on the same computer.

8. pogi

pogi Member

The trick is to tell them that you are reinstalling it on the same PC and it wont reactivate. If you tell them its for a virtual machine depending on who you talk to they will deny you a new key.