Is Parallels self-destructing?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kingfish, Aug 25, 2006.

1. joem

joem Forum Maven

There has been discussion of this issue and much disagreement. You get a link if you buy the product.

BFD. Wait a couple of weeks and they'll fix it. They've said they're working on it. I know instant gratification is nice, but let's pretend we're adults here.

I see that gratuitous attack as totally unnecessary and unsupported by facts and not at all my experience with Parallels.

But not for me. I've been a software developer for decades, and I think they're doing a great job. I don't know why you need to get your panties in such a twist over something that no doubt surprised a very busy group of people, and will, I'm sure, be fixed in a couple of weeks, which isn't really a very long time. Take a couple of deep breaths, and chill for a few days. the world will still be here.

Patience is a virtue. Parallels will be working on the Mac Pro long before VMWare has a Mac product.

2. MrKen

MrKen Bit poster

They want to charge me $80 for something that won't work on my machine, when their website appears to clearly state that it will. I don't think that's a fair deal. How is that childish?

1. "Starting a virtual machine crashes MacPro" thread started on 8/9.
    2. Parallels employee acknowledges problem in thread on 8/10.
    3. Web site still fails to indicate incompatibility with MacPro on 8/28.

Are we supposed to believe that nobody has had a chance to write and post a little blurb in the last 18 days? You're a developer. So am I. Would you leave a customer in the dark about such a basic problem for over 2 weeks?

I can only assume that something's amis high up in the company. I've seen suits pull this kind of thing before, and I'm sure you have, too.

Again, my comments are directed at the management, not at the developers. My comments are directed at the lack of communication, not at the bug itself. Your... "passionate" response sounds like you think I'm attacking the coders. Absolutely not.

And I'm not wearing any panties.

3. Ben @ Parallels

Ben @ Parallels Member

All -

I just posted a new thread about this, but since there's a lot of discussion here, I'll say it again - there are no problems "up on high" with our company, nor are we hiding from anyone!

We're working on fully compatible Mac Pro build, and should have it very, very soon. You'll get an email about it if you've elected to receive news, and I'll post announcements about it on the forum and on my blog.

We're working as hard as we can!

4. Stark

Stark Bit poster

FWIW,

Parallels probably got their first dev Mac Pro about the same time the rest of us did (after WWDC). If there's anyone to blame for software not running on these systems, it's Apple. They were the only ones who could have tested it with the new xeon systems and raised a red flag. Employees at the Apple stores didn't even know there was a compatability issue.

If you want to talk about deceptive marketing, that's where the finger should point, as they're promoting parallels as much as anyone, and they're the ones obsessed with secrecy. And if you want to blame a company for dragging it's feet, throw your rotten tomatoes at Adobe.

5. backinmac

backinmac Bit poster

Actually the Mac Pro status is there now.

It is definitely, definitely true that Parallels communication needs to be improved. However, it has gotten a little better.

It has communicated this for the last several days... I noticed it a few days ago and I am not sure how much longer it was there before that.

Please get dressed and go calmly about your business. Thank you.

6. MrKen

MrKen Bit poster

??? Where did you find that quote? I'm looking at the home page, the Desktop page, the beta page, and the purchase page. I honestly don't see it.

Good advice. I am fully dressed as I write this.

7. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Guys,
    We already added notice about Mac Pro issues on all web pages with Parallels Desktop for Mac. Thanks for good advise!

8. backinmac

backinmac Bit poster

Found it here

Here is one place where it mentions the status of the Mac Pro.
    http://www.novadevelopment.com/Products/us/wdm/sys_req.aspx

Not exactly on the home page in blinking text, but it's there.

9. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

I just love the mood swings around here.

PANIC!!!!!! THE WORLD IS ENDING!!!!

Oh, it's okay now.

Another approach might have been to calmly point out the fact the communication was not handled well regarding the Mac Pro, and then ask for it to be clarified in a manner that anyone with a Mac Pro evaluation purchase could have easily found for themselves.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  10. dracula

dracula Member

Thank you very much.

11. kingfish

kingfish Junior Member

Curious. I think that is precisely what was requested, both here and in other threads. Apparently what has you (and others who talk condescendingly of "pissy users" and "drama queens") so dreadfully offended is that some of us went a bit further, and suggested that the failure to make such a posting until 2.5 weeks after the incompatbility was known was self-destructive--an observation that seems quite self-evident and not notably dramatic, especially to anyone who has watched cycles of the software market over the past 20 years or so or has tried to sell into the corporate marketplace.

But from the number of similar sarcastic "Oh, chill out" responses, it seems that this kind of Simpson-style pseudo-sophistication is considered ultra-cool among the junior nerdy set, with little or no understanding of, or particular interest in, the dynamics of the marketplace. They might remember that even Steve Jobs himself was forced to recognize that technical superiority does not, in itself, guarantee success. You must also care about your customers and the experience they have in using your products. And it really really helps if you don't lie to them.

Is that overly dramatic? I don't think so. And if that bothers you, don't be a drama queen. Just get over it.

12. constant

constant Forum Maven

A portion of the mac community don't seem to understand that "beta = not guaranteed to work with anything".

Parallels Desktop 2.1 release version is guaranteed to work with all Apple-Intel hardware available at the time of release.

Parallels Desktop 2.2 beta version is guaranteed to work with nothing.

If you want to take the risk of things not working, other things being broken as a result of, or other bad stuff happening to your system, then give the beta version a run. This does have the up side of helping the community.

If all that is too risky for you, then a beta version is not something you should install.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  13. cazuaga

cazuaga Bit poster

I'm sooo new to this.. so i'm not getting Parallels now?

Just bought macbook pro 2.16GHz, 1G and yada.. Was about to purchase parallels based on all other threads I have been studying.. then I run into this somehow.. I don't remember how I got here, but I'm glad I did. Just hoping to get a summation if you will.. a verification of my summation I suppose...
    I should not buy Parallels TODAY. I should be patient as a version compatible with my intel macbook pro OS X 10.4.7 is in the works.. right?
    Lastly, and forgive me.. I'm new to this deeper realm of knowledge base.. this forum is to talk about parallels and compatibility and shared experiences if I'm not mistaken..
    It's kind of funny to see all this 'bitchy' back and forth, but is this forum really for that? Much of this thread I feel I've wasted my time in looking over as it is simply fellas giving their opinions on the history of macintosh, how software companies should handle themselves ( proper etiquette of communicaton ) and what not. I don't mean to offend anybody.. guess I'm seeing if anyone would agree that much of this thread could possibly be more in the " exchange emails and bitch at each other in private" sector. Thanks.. with humility.. honestly.

14. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

If you attribute junior, nerdy thinking to me, you clearly have no clue how old I am. I'm certainly old enough to know that over-hyping a problem with dramatic headlines about self-destructing and panicking over non-issues is silly.

When and if Parallels shows a repeated, chronic inability to meet their customers needs then I'll wonder if they are in trouble. When and if serious issues arise that aren't easily overcome, then I'll wonder if they are in decline. Until then, the only matter of importance is the actual issue - what's the problem, are they handling it, if not please do, and then move on. Leads to fewer strokes when you only hit the panic button when it's actually time to.

Let's deal with actual issues instead of manufacturing new ones.

PS. I don't give a damn about what's ultra cool or ultra uncool. Never have, never will. I know enough about humans to know if I have their utmost approval, I'm probably doing something wrong.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  15. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

The problem discussed in this thread is with the mac pro (tower machine), not with the macbook pro laptop. Many people with macbook pro laptops have been using parallels since before the production release. You should be fine with it.

There have been threads of other issues on macbook pros, but I haven't kept track since the release version came out. If you read the other threads and were satisfied with the macbook pro related threads, you should be fine.

16. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish Bit poster

Isn't there still a trial version available? If anyone is unsure about compatibility, wouldn't it be wise to try out the free trial version instead of paying $80 for something they may or may not be able to use right away?

17. buzzdat

buzzdat Member

OK, I've been lurking and feel like I have to chime in too...

1) Would it really be that difficult to put a blurb on the parallels home page saying something along the lines of "Parallels for mac works great today on 32-bit macs - Mac pro/xeon support will be available soon!" Spin it, but make the message clear, it would save a LOT of complaining. I was at a compusa today and the apple salesperson was unaware that it was incompatible - in fact, he said that he felt bad because he had just sold a copy. The message needs to be made clear, period. A burned customer is a lost customer - unless they are REALLY patient and understanding, they won't even look back at Parallels after experiencing a glaring incompatibility like this. I'd personally like to see parallels do well in the market - vmware needs some competition.

2) For goodness sake, if a product has a publicly available trial version, especially one that is not functionally crippled, download it and try it out before shelling out your hard earned bucks on the retail release. To me, that's just plain common sense. BUT IT STILL DOESNT EXCUSE POINT #1.

whew.

18. limec

limec Member

Judging from the indifference shown in this forum, I think it's Parallels Desktop that needs a competition. :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  19. constant

constant Forum Maven

The indifference is it's own competition.

20. macaddict

macaddict Bit poster

Gentlemen, the ping pong match we are witnessing between Kingfisher and Mr. Willsey is the eternal and epic battle between the development community (producing miracles in code) and THE MAN (running the business). You two will never see eye to eye, you are genetically incapable of doing so. I hope you are both Australian, because if you are typing this on a three day weekend, that would truly be sad:(