still need Ir-adapter (for Polar HRM)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by OzBert, Jun 21, 2006.

1. OzBert

OzBert Bit poster

Hi,

I still need a recommendation which Infrared (Ir) adapter works with parallels and XP Pro (on a MacBook).

The Ir-adapter is needed to connect a Polar-brand (710) heart-rate monitor to it - in order to read-out the recorded data.

Cheers from soccer-worldcup-crazy-Germany,
    OzBert

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. jfjalest

jfjalest Bit poster

Polar IR

I have just purchased the new Polar IR adapter (IRwave) the old one is discontinued. If works very well on my REAL Windows Machine (old Compaq laptop), but not so with the Parallels VM. It SEEMS like it is communicating with the HRM, but no data get transferred.

Any experiences from others?

J.

3. rbleeker

rbleeker Bit poster

After extensive tests, I have found an old BAFO irDA model BF-120 is the only one I can get to work. Doesn't need any drivers as it is recognised by XP straight away.

Might have something to do with the USB support in Parallels Desktop, it is still limited to USB1.1

Maybe search around for old USB1.1 irDA devices.

--Robert

4. jfjalest

jfjalest Bit poster

Polar IR now working

After a little experimenting, my new Polar IR-adapter (new type) is now working fine. I am not sure what made the trick, but it seems it is necessary to plug it in AFTER XP has booted.

5. jklein

jklein Bit poster

Polar USB-IrDA--MORE HELP!

I have read everything out there, and I had thought I followed all of the steps correctly. No luck. Here's what I'm using...

Polar S720i, new Polar USB 2.0 IrDA, MacBook Pro with Parallels and Windows XP with Service Pack.

I loaded Polar 3.0 off the disc. I loaded the Polar Precision SW update from the Polar website. I loaded the Polar USB drivers from the Polar website. After loading everything, I plugged in the Polar USB IrDA Adapter, and... NOTHING!

Suggestions? Others have been successful. I, too, would like to be successful with this.

Thank you!
    Jason

6. Mac76

Mac76 Bit poster

Polar s725x Software IRDA USB 2 Adapter

How did you load that mini disc in your Mac Book Pro?

7. cglasel

cglasel Bit poster

Has anyone tried to try and use the built in IrDA on the Macbook? Parallels seems to see it but can't gain controll of it. Is there a way to force quit whatever function of OS X is usign the IrDA receiver?

8. bdmcnitt

bdmcnitt Bit poster

jklein,

Did you ever get the Polar IrDA USB 2.0 Adapter to work with Parallels and the Polar Precision Performance SW 3.0 software? I can get the adapter to appear in the Windows XP system tray and in the Device Manager as an Infrared device but the Polar software cannot find it on the USB port or Com ports 1-9. Perhaps there is some mapping that needs to happen? I notice on my Dell laptop that has a dedicated IR port that there is a port option in the Polar Precision software preferences called "IrDA" that does not appear in the Parallels installed version. Hmmm. Any thoughts?

If others have been successful in getting the IrDA USB 2.0 adapter and Polar Precision software working under Parallels, I would be interested to know what setting you are using.

Thanks!
    Brian

9. bobdesimone

bobdesimone Bit poster

Polar IrDA USB 2.0 WORKING

First I'll summarize my hardware/software details:
    MacBook Pro 2GHZ running OSX10.4.8
    Parallels (Build 3120 RC) running XP Pro.
    Polar Precision Perf SW (ver 4.03.044)

Steps I took:
    1. Loaded Polar Precision SW in WinXP and updated to latest version, shutdown Parallels.
    2. Copied Polar IrDA 3" software disk to full size disk for use in MMP slot drive.
    3. In OSX installed the SigmaTelUSBIrDA.pkg found on the Mac_Driver.dmg image on Polar IrDA software disk. Plugged in device and verified listed in Mac System Profiler under hardware/USB/USB High Speed Bus. (Listed as STIr42xx).
    4. Read IR721 Windows OS Manual V1.0.1638.doc on disk for instructions for loading the drivers in windows.
    5. Ejected Software disk, removed IrDA device, and started Parallels and WinXP.
    6. Inserted disk, installer auto starts. Follow prompts and install IrDA drivers in Windows.
    7. Inserted Polar IrDA device and windows prompted again for new hardware device found. Follow the prompts and install device again via the CD. From this point on Windows should recognize device whenever it's plugged in.
    8. Started Polar Precision Software and interfaced with my Polar S625X without problems.

(Note: According to Polar IrDA USB device packaging, it is not compatible with S610, 710, 810 or E600)

10. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2007
  11. troyburns

troyburns Junior Member

I bought a USB 1.1 IrDA, but I can't get XP Home to recognize it in Parallels as an infrared device. My stand alone Windows XP Home machine recognizes the device as an infrared adapter just fine. XP in Parallels thinks the device is a "USB Human Interface Device." I'm not exactly sure what that is, but it certainly not my IrDA device.

I've tried manually updating the drivers for the device, but no matter which drivers I try I get "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

This is a MOSCHIP IRDA device and it is USB 1.1, so I wouldn't think there would be any problems.

There's not a lot of IrDA advice in the forums, but I've read everything about IRDA that is here. I've unplugged the adapter. I've restarted Windows. I installed the drivers from the MOSCHIP website. It's supposed to be a plug&play device. I'm out of ideas on what else to try. Since it works on my stand alone XP machine, it has to be something in Parallels. Any ideas where to look?

I'm running Parallels 3186.

12. dbbrow2

dbbrow2 Bit poster

where can I get the 'magic disk'?

bobdesimone or anyone,
    Where can I get the 'magic disk' that has the SigmaTel package on it? I have the Polar USB -> IrDA device and I never got a CD with mine (it was brand new in the indestructible plastic package). I did a google search and there was a hit on a link to the Mac_Driver.dmg on the SigmaTel web server but there's no path or file there on the actual web server.

I'd like to get past the frustration of this and a 'dual use' of having to dump all my HRM data into a 'real' PC and then USB drive it into Parallels.

By the way, I have a Polar S625X as well and a MacBookPro, 2.16GHz, OSX10.4.9, Parallels 3188, and Polar 4.03.043. It didn't work any better or less with Polar 4.03.044 and Parallels 3186.

thank you,
    Dave

13. dbbrow2

dbbrow2 Bit poster

Hello all 'Polar interop wannabe's',
    My 'problem' is solved. The issue was I was using the older Polar IrDA -> USB device, the larger 'lay it on a desktop' big chunk of plastic thing with the fixed USB cable, and not the little 'chapstick' sized IrDA -> USB adapter that has the 'magic disk' in it. Once I bought that yesterday and followed the directions of bobdesimone above in the thread then all was good!

Dave

14. dbbrow2

dbbrow2 Bit poster

Hello all 'Polar interop wannabe's',
    My 'problem' is solved. The issue was I was using the older Polar IrDA -> USB device, the larger 'lay it on a desktop' big chunk of plastic thing with the fixed USB cable, and not the little 'chapstick' sized IrDA -> USB adapter that has the 'magic disk' in it. Once I bought that yesterday and followed the directions of bobdesimone above in the thread then all was good!

Dave

15. BenL

BenL Junior Member

16. RaphaelZ

RaphaelZ Bit poster

to whom it may concern

Attached Files: