Interesting times... CrossOver OSX

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hairyneanderthal, Aug 31, 2006.

1. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

2. rinconj

rinconj Member

None of the ones I use frequently are supported. I can't even install IE6. I've tried darwine before and could run winmine with it, so I am not completely new to this. So far Parallels is still a much better option.

3. kshusker

kshusker Member

It's beta too, but it is very clunky

I gave it a try, and it was really, really unstable. I tried to install Internet Explorer in CrossOver and it barely functioned, and frequently crashed.

It has one advantage over Parallels, which is that you don't need to actually buy a copy of Windows, but Parallels, even in its current form, is way, way more reliable and crashes much less (unless you have a Mac Pro :)

4. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Not sure what the issue is for you guys but I installed IE6, IE7 RC1, Office, Visio and a couple of other apps without ANY hitches. All the apps ran very well, the system never crashed or became flaky and the apps ran pretty darn well. I'm running it on an MBP w/2G of RAM
    The overhead is minimal and basically
    so far so good" No complaints for me. Not that this will replace PD or BootCamp but this is LOW overhead, and promising...

FYI....
    Peter

5. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

Sure, you can install IE6 with no problem, but did you try to go to any website? The couple I tried it hanged, and I have a feeling it has to do with any site that has a login page, which is quite a few.

6. buzzdat

buzzdat Member

Very different products

Codeweavers has provided crossover for Linux for a number of years; it started as a commercial release of the WINE emulator on the linux platform. Unlike parallels, which virtualizes the CPU (making your client os think it is the only thing running on the machine), WINE works by intercepting windows API calls on the fly and translating them to similar calls on the host OS. There's a good deal of black magic going on there - API calls can vary wildly between platforms.

Crossover is a product with a limited scope: it allows you to run a few tested windows applications on non-windows platforms with a pretty good success rate. I've got a few customers who use it on Linux just to run Visio. Take a look at their supported applications here: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/supported_apps/ if the application you need is on the list, then it will work, and will work pretty well. It may not look *exactly* like it does on Windows, but it'll be close. If an app is not on the list, you're out of luck; it may work, it may crash. Your mileage may vary <g>.

Based on the stability of the Linux version, I have no doubt that they will eventually get there with the Mac product.

Parallels is an entirely different product with a very different scope - you aren't emulating a few instructions, you are running a whole new virtual machine. You can run virtually any software in the virtual machine that will run on the host OS - because as far as the app is concerned, it *is* running on that host OS. This opens a huge range of possible applications, and at a price that is radically lower than the current market leader (VMWare).

If you're only using Parallels to run MS Office, then Crossover may be a viable alternative, but you're getting a *lot* less functionality for your money. My money's on Parallels.

== Steve

7. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

Ditto, my experience exactly.
    One of the main reasons I wanted to look at Crossover OSX was the IE6 support. There are several sites that I visit regularly that don't work too well in Safari...
    However, on CrossOver IE6 I couldn't even get flash installed so that rules out most sites almost right from the beginning.
    Anyway, it's still beta, it might get better.

8. majortom

majortom Member

Writing from Firefox 1.5.0.6 under CrossOver. Very interesting although PD is an excellent product.

I wasn't able to connect to the internet untill I killed "Microsoft AU".

One strang thing: PD no more connects to the net since CrossOver is installed...

9. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

You had me scared for a moment there...
    Just did a thorough check of all my Internet connectivity. For me PD works fine even with CrossOver installed.

H